Engine Builder and Machine shop

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Engine Builder and Machine shop

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I am thinking about my motor for the Bronco.

I am looking for a builder that can either rebuild a 351w with all the proper clearances and upgrades for a 408w stroker. I can source the major parts, but I am not experienced in V8 building. I use to rebuild 2 stroke dirtbike motors growing up.

I am going to put a lot of money into parts, so I need the motor done right the first time. I can't afford to make mistakes.

I will need them to assemble the motor completely. I have a stock 1989 351w complete out of a Bronco. Then I have a new Holley Terminator x MPFI system with a Edlebrock Super Victor MPFI intake and Edlebrock 1000cfm 1450 throttle body. I am thinking of running a low profile dual intake plenum to run dual canister cold air intakes.

I want to run pump gas and stay under 600hp to help keep the drive train from blowing up. I will be upgrading the C6 transmission and the axles, but don't want to do it right away.

I am looking for AFR 205CC to 220cc heads. I am not sure what to look for as combustion chamber size. Like I said, I want to say with pump gas.

I am not sure what to do for a cam shaft. I think I want the peak torque to hit around 3000 rpm. And 4500-5000 rpm. What do you think?

I already have a Holley Dual Sync distributor and I plan to pickup a MSD 6 digital off road ignition box. The 1972 dashboard will be 13 inches wider, so I should have room to mount all the electronics under the dash. I want to keep them out of the weather and heat under the hood. Also, with all the electronic interface that the Holley EFI systems are prone to have, I plan to over due all the RFI sheilding on everything. I would rather over protect than under protect the electronics. In the past I have been successful shielding Race Radio stuff on installations I did.

I need to get fuel injectors and plan to run Bosch injectors. I need a regulator and I am not sure if I should get a preset one or adjustable one.

I did already get a retrofit Holley In-Tank fuel pump with return. It is rated for 800hp, so it should be good for my application.

I even saw the new Holley Lidar fuel level sender with no moving parts. It would be nice to not be plagued by fuel guage problems, like Bronco normally do.

Has anyone run one yet?

I plan to run a Dakota Analog Digital guage.

That is a start.

Any recommendations on the engine setup and a shop that will not rake me over the coals, do good work, be honest and not sell me what is not needed.

Thanks guy's
Happy new year.

David

AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Re: Engine Builder and Machine shop

Post by AussieRod »

Yes, 408 stroker with MAX 9 - 9.2:1 CR (Pemex compatible).
AFR 165 or 185 cylinder heads. AFR165's preferably, as they promote air velocity for good torque and the 1.94" intake valves can work with stock pistons.
Comp Cams Xtreme Energy 212/218 Hydraulic Roller Cam.
Edelbrock RPM Airgap intake.
FiTech or equivalent throttle body EFI (KISS).
Headers and a free flowing quiet exhaust system.
HP isn't what you need, torque is. With this set-up, the torque curve will be flat from 2000 to 4500 and pull like a train.
However, your money, your choice.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Re: Engine Builder and Machine shop

Post by Wrightracing.net »

My issue is the Bronco will see mostly sand dunes, so higher RPM'S and tire speed is needed and paddle tires will get used eventually, so that is where torque may come into play I think.

I will probably run 37X12.50R Baja TA tires buffed and have Scat Track hauler paddles installed. Probably 8 or 10 paddles depending on the power of the motor compared to the weight of the Bronco after the cage and final weight.

The Bronco will get time in Baja, but mainly a sand dune toy.

Sand dunes are a very different animal then a Baja or rock crawler motor. Because the Bronco is heavy compared to a sand car. So a line will will need to be walked.

David