12v electric Air Conditioning

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

12v electric Air Conditioning

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Has anyone done a electric Air Conditioning system that has a 12v compressor?

Some benefits would be AC for the back seat and no horse power loss on motor, no over heating the motor and you could run the AC when you are waiting for a tow truck when you blow up your motor Image maybe run two, one in front and one for the back seat. It looks cheaper then going to Vintage Air or the other AC retrofit systems.

Here is a setup I saw on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165521628165?m ... media=COPY

David

damon1272

Re: 12v electric Air Conditioning

Post by damon1272 »

I wonder what the apmerage draw that compressor would be? Otherwise it would be a good alternative.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I’m wondering about how much it puts out. Could 2 be enough? Is this what tesla and the rest of the EV world is doing for ac? Obviously nicer equipment but the parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Quicksand
Bronco Info: 1995 XL long travel 37s

Post by Quicksand »

Sign me up too. At least for a rear unit. I've got a 240A alternator thats supposed to make 210A at 800 RPM. They make higher. There's days in AZ when I'm ready for solar, lithium batteries and a mini-split hanging off the back.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Years ago, I saw a guy put a RV air conditioning unit on top.

David

hobbyturnedobsession

A 10k unit would freeze anyone out of the cab. a 13.5 would leave you with frosty nuts. The only issue: how to keep it from coming apart after a trip off roading.
Wrightracing.net

The ones on the Quigley and Spriter's seem to hold up. But I think the units I posted about are much more compact and cheaper.

David

hobbyturnedobsession

I could see that, however, I do not know how many quigley vans with ac units would be doing 60+ through whoops on a daily basis. I can see going slow, but I am thinking of the heavy right foot, jarring and plus, it would need to be tied into a cage, so I would think not much would dampen the hits.
Wrightracing.net

The RV type would probably need a custom design mount to protect it. I use to have my roof rack tied to the cage through the fiberglass shell and used a solid mount, so the rack and cage did not move separately to protect the shell.

I still think it would be nice and cool in 120° summer weather. And keep in mind, most people don't treat their Bronco like we do. My Bronco is a Off-Road toy now that is a trailer queen to the desert most of the time.

Now power came up to run two of those systems I posted. On my Bronco for 25 years, I have been running a 200amp alternator I had done by Broadway Auto Electric in Lemon Grove CA.The reason I went to the high output alternator was when I would sit at the US border crossing for 2 hour's at 600 RPM's with the stock alternator and stock AC, it would kill the battery after a hour, then we had to jump it and we could not use the AC anymore. So the higher output alternator was the solution. The one they built for me was setup to charge at 130 amps at idol and hit max amps at 1500 RPM's. When we tested the amps it actually charged at 208 and 1500 RPM's. The first Alternator when I was daily driving lasted about 10 years, then they rebuilt it and I still have it in the Bronco now, for 15 year's. I am it rebuild mode on the Bronco from the ground up as a 50th Birthday present to myself. Two years into the Project and I have not driven the Bronco . That is a major undertaking with a new motor, trans, axles and the hardest part, a whole newly fabricated body. 1986 to 1972 body swap stretched and widened.

What I was thinking, was a Vintage Air Conditioning system. After seeing this option, it would be nice to not have the compressor kill horse power when in the dunes, because I want to run the AC. I have been looking at getting a 350 amp or higher alternator, so I can run a welder. I definitely want two batteries and even was thinking the Lithium phosphate batteries for higher storage capacity and a 10 year warranty. I have not had good luck keeping Optima batteries alive. So a DC to DC charger unit that charges the Lifepo4 batteries at 14v keeps them in the best health and charges them completely. At a normal 12v charging rate, Lifepo4 batteries will only charge to 80%. I did want a Premier Power Products on-board arc welder that ran off the alternator, but when you are welding it would not charge the battery, so hopefully you would be done welding before the battery dies. So with new inverter technology and small inverter welders, I was thinking of one of new 200amp combination arc, tig and plasma cutter unit's. I can even get a 12v to 220v inverter to run the welder at a lower amp draw and better duty cycle. I will be running a on-board air and tank with a 7.5cfm compressor with a 3 or 5 gallon tank. I have a 3 gallon steel tank now, but I was thinking of a Lighter aluminum 5 gallon, I will have to see if I can make space. Having the Plasma cutter and welder in Baja, would be really helpful during races. I am definitely interested in a dual 350 amp alternator setup on the Superduty F350 like the Ambulance system and run that welder/Plasma system with 4 deep cycle batteries and a 125 watt solar panel on the roof of the crew cab. Maybe even run that new Electric AC compressor for sleeping in the cab on hot desert nights. In Baja I have left the diesel motor running and the AC running for 6 hours and it only used a 1/4 tank of the 29 gallon tank. I did have two 11 gallon fuel cans, just in case. But was surprised how little fuel was used. I already have the solar panel for the F350, because it tends to kill the batteries after two weeks of sitting. So the solar keeps the batteries fully charged. I have a little dash Solar panel on my mom's Chevy Tracker to keep the battery charged, because she doesn't drive it for weeks at a time.

Sorry for the long post. That is the result of a lot of time to think about the Bronco and being bored and stuck at home with a severely herniated disc in my lower back. This is why the Bronco is taking so long to get done.

I'm done for now

David

Quicksand
Bronco Info: 1995 XL long travel 37s

Post by Quicksand »

Hey David, good info. I was mostly joking about a mini-split but you mean business! Definitely on the right path with LIfepo4 batteries and DC to DC charging, not that I'm any expert. Did set up a frig in a 4Runner with a Bluetti Lifepo4 battery with built in MPPT and two 100 watt panels on a RTT. Overlandy stuff, but something I would consider in the Bronco too.

It's not 12V AC, but I just watched a Morgan Clarke Design review on a Supercrew talking a good bit about dual A/Cs and Vintage Air and how they don't work as well as factory systems. I thought they'd be better. Always learning. Here's a link to it. https://youtu.be/43skQhYTLM0?si=ngb9zcQ_wvSLwTYp He get's into the A/C stuff around 17 minutes in. It's an interesting 50 minute video if you still have the time. Sorry about your back :(

Jeff
Wrightracing.net

Quicksand wrote:Hey David, good info. I was mostly joking about a mini-split but you mean business! Definitely on the right path with LIfepo4 batteries and DC to DC charging, not that I'm any expert. Did set up a frig in a 4Runner with a Bluetti Lifepo4 battery with built in MPPT and two 100 watt panels on a RTT. Overlandy stuff, but something I would consider in the Bronco too.

It's not 12V AC, but I just watched a Morgan Clarke Design review on a Supercrew talking a good bit about dual A/Cs and Vintage Air and how they don't work as well as factory systems. I thought they'd be better. Always learning. Here's a link to it. https://youtu.be/43skQhYTLM0?si=ngb9zcQ_wvSLwTYp He get's into the A/C stuff around 17 minutes in. It's an interesting 50 minute video if you still have the time. Sorry about your back :(

Jeff
Thanks. ImageImage I definitely have the time. Image

David

toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Certainly not enough capacity for a Bronco cab and the price is high, but these units have been around for a while for Porsche 911s.

https://www.classicretrofit.com/en-us/p ... ondenser-1

Todd Z.
Wrightracing.net

toddz69 wrote:Certainly not enough capacity for a Bronco cab and the price is high, but these units have been around for a while for Porsche 911s.

https://www.classicretrofit.com/en-us/p ... ondenser-1

Todd Z.
Those are crazy expensive Image

I am thinking of using two of the electric systems, but start out with a under the dash version and see how I like it.

The original owner of ORW Howard, had a Bronco with a Vintage Air monster cooler system that was made to cool a 50's station wagon and it did a better job then my OEM AC.

I was also thinking about just eliminating the oem compressor for one of those electric compressors. Keep the stock condenser up front, Then use a Vintage Air monster cooler under dash unit. I am already running dual 16in Spal electric fan's up front, so that might be a route to go.

We will see

David

Wrightracing.net

Ok, question?
And Maybe Paul can chime in, who makes a air compressor with 7cfm or higher that can be placed in the AC compressor spot on a 1989 351w?

My thought is to get one of those 12v electric Air Conditioning pumps and remove the stock AC compressor. I have been told they don't make much pressure.

I have found several electric AC systems for around $800, so much cheaper than Vintage Air or other motor based kits. I can even ad a second one in back if it does not cool enough for the rear bench seat in the 72 Bronco. I was in Howard's white Bronco, the original owner of ORW and the back seat people were a bit warm on a summer day in the desert. He had a Vintage Air system. I hope the technology has gotten better in the last 30 some years .

Side note, Howard handed down the Rancho 3 inch lift for my Bronco when he went full long travel on his Bronco Great guy. He helped me race class 12 back in the late 80's and early 1990's with Ramsey El Wardani RIP. I never did that well and the cost of funding a competitive car was too high for a kid in college.

Sorry for the long post, just bored and jumping around the internet while stuck in bed with a bad back.

I did work Out a deal with a old friend to do the heavy lifting work to get my 72 Bronco closer together with the 86 chassis. He just got a 1990 Bronco and I am giving him AutoFab 92 fenders and we are going to do a full long travel setup and cage in the Bronco. Fortunately I have all the tools and fabrication equipment to do all that, he will just have to do the heavy lifting for now.

Talk to you guys later

David

hobbyturnedobsession

Check a york compressor. They are self oiling, so no pag no problem.