RELAYS, Solid state vs mechanical

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

RELAYS, Solid state vs mechanical

Post by Wrightracing.net »

So, I am thinking through my electrical for the Bronco and I was considering solid state relays. I have seen the 8 or 12 gang solid state controller, but at almost $1000 for a 8 gang controller it seems high priced and I don't like the switch panel look. I would like to do the old toggle switch style on the 72 dash to keep it kind of old school looking. I even plan to run a retro stock looking Stereo with Bluetooth.

I am not sure how many switches I will need yet, I need to map out the wire harness to see. I know lights, Air compressor, GPS, whip light for the dunes, race radio and CB. Probably a engine fan override or something for deep water crossing, I am not sure. I do want the fans to come on automatically when the water temp gets to high, not sure what temp to turn on yet. I also will have two transmission oil coolers with electric fans on both sides of the rear quarter panels with Mustang side scoops to draw in cool air. I like to dunes, so keeping the C6 cool year around is needed. I will also have a engine oil cooler and power steering fluid cooler up in front of the radiator. Since I am making a custom core support, I am thinking to going with a wider 34 inch 4 core aluminum Chevy Suburban radiator with dual Spal 16 inch electric fans. On my old 302, I ran a single 18inch Vintage Air electric fan and it did ok, but still ran hot with ac on in the dunes during the summer. So I am looking to cool things down better.

So all that being said, I have had mechanical relays go out on everything at one point or another and was wondering if anyone is running Solid state relays and what is your long term experience with them. What brand and where to get them?

As always
Thanks guys

David

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Re: RELAYS, Solid state vs mechanical

Here is a solid state relay I was looking at on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393824472525?m ... media=COPY

David

Wrightracing.net

I also found one with a heat sink. That looks like it would be great for high amperage radiator dual fan's. Image

David

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Do you know if these ss relays have the flyback diode. I either buy mechanical relays with the diode or add them at install.
Yes all my rigs have a bunch of good old mechanical relays.

On all my old school rigs they had smart gauges that operated the relays for the fans.
Now days I have 21 Jeep and their design has eliminated aftermarket temp control. That rig still contains a bunch of aftermarket relays to control my various light operations.
Wrightracing.net

Hey Paul
I am not sure on the diode.

I am starting to think about my wire harness and I don't like what I see from Painless or any other that is under $1000.

I have done a couple wire harnesses from scratch for Baja Bug's, sand rails and my old Class 12 1835 car.
This would be the first EFI car and much more complex than a VW air coiled car.

I used auto reset Breakers instead of fuses on the class 12 and they worked great. I only had one fail on the oil cooler fan.

I plan to run a Dakota Digital Guage and a Holley Terminator X MPFI system.

I need to find out what size Breaker to run on the main power line.
Something like this. Or maybe ones that go into a blade type fuse.

Just thinking out loud. ImageImageImage

David

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Now that I have transitioned to late model (18 and 21) all my relays have the diode. I usually use an external one because I have an inventory of relays without the diode.
Regarding circuit breakers . Buy form a known brand rather than Amazon and get better quality.
Wrightracing.net

Good advice, thanks

David