Tailgate latch help

bpburnard05
Bronco Info: 1995 bronco 5.8, e4od

Tailgate latch help

Post by bpburnard05 »

Alright guys I need some guidance or ideas.
I have been rebuilding my tailgate slowly and trying to make sure it closes and opens properly.

I replaced the tailgate latch bars that attach to the latches at either side. I then found my center assembly to be busted so I just replaced that.

Here is the issue. Using the handle in the middle it will
Only unlatch the driver side, the passenger side does not have enough travel to unlatch the side latch. If I pull the bar hard enough it will do it but will not with the center handle. The driver side is fine. So what do I do now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Tailgate latch help

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Is the rod binding in any way or the latch itself sticking or hanging up on the passenger side?

Would shortening the rod a little bit there fix the "not enough travel" thing? Doing so may make the handle "engage" the rod quicker and therefore start pulling sooner?

The 70's Ford trucks have similar issues. The lift upward design of the handles is just not all that great. To help deal with the problem some guys have put 1960's Ford tailgate handles on the 70's trucks. These handles pivot on on end of them and the handle pulls outward towards you vs. upwards. This gives a bit more leverage on the rods.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
bpburnard05

Post by bpburnard05 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Is the rod binding in any way or the latch itself sticking or hanging up on the passenger side?

Would shortening the rod a little bit there fix the "not enough travel" thing? Doing so may make the handle "engage" the rod quicker and therefore start pulling sooner?

The 70's Ford trucks have similar issues. The lift upward design of the handles is just not all that great. To help deal with the problem some guys have put 1960's Ford tailgate handles on the 70's trucks. These handles pivot on on end of them and the handle pulls outward towards you vs. upwards. This gives a bit more leverage on the rods.
I don’t think the rod is binding. I have it apart right now and looks like the attachment lever at the latch is bent so I’m going to bend thematic back and see what that does for me. I will also lube the latch.

Cooler heads prevailed I was impatient the other night but fixing that bend was enough to make the tailgate operate as needed

LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

There is a great article on Full Size Bronco. There is a modification to the handle that will fix your prob .
bpburnard05

Post by bpburnard05 »

LvSteve wrote:There is a great article on Full Size Bronco. There is a modification to the handle that will fix your prob .
Thankyou Steve I will need to find it
Finally got that rear window in I picked up from you a while back. Now will probably do the relay mod