6R80 transmission in a Bronco

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

6R80 transmission in a Bronco

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I've been hearing good things about the 6r80 transmission. I was thinking of putting one in my Bronco to replace the C6 transmission. I have read several articles saying it can handle up to 1,000 horsepower in the stock setup and more with some upgrades. I was thinking of getting the Quick 6 controller. I am seeing that I can get a 2011 or newer 6r80 for a round six to $700. I also have seen that they have an adapter plate for it to the 351 Windsor. The one thing I do wonder is if you can bolt up an np205 transfer case to it.

Has anybody on here actually put one in their Bronco and how did it work for you.

I like the idea of having six gears on the Bronco and not having to worry about driving it on the freeway.

David Wright

36Fan
Bronco Info: 1967 Half Cab

Re: 6R80 transmission in a Bronco

Post by 36Fan »

The classic Bronco guys have done it, SBF,6r80,205. I have the PA adapter (6r80 to 351W) and US Shift Quick 6 controller. From what I know the adapter is pretty straight forward but getting the tq converter to mate with the crank can be a pain. Most people have to do some sort of custom work to get them to mount properly. The 6r80 requires larger cooling lines and a few other small things to make it correct. My plan was to install this in my F150 prerunner but Im now thinking of going with a Reid Super 80 instead.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

36Fan wrote:The classic Bronco guys have done it, SBF,6r80,205. I have the PA adapter (6r80 to 351W) and US Shift Quick 6 controller. From what I know the adapter is pretty straight forward but getting the tq converter to mate with the crank can be a pain. Most people have to do some sort of custom work to get them to mount properly. The 6r80 requires larger cooling lines and a few other small things to make it correct. My plan was to install this in my F150 prerunner but Im now thinking of going with a Reid Super 80 instead.
I saw an adapter kit that gives instructions on how to put spacers in to engage the torque converter properly with a 351w flywheel. The other solution for that is a custom torque converter that bolts right up. I may go that way anyways for a higher performance torque converter to run in the 550-600Hp range.

I am not concerned about cooling, I am going to be running dual 40 row plate coolers with 10" 1100cfm fans and -10 an fittings.

I read alot about the Quick 6 controller and you can tune it to Lock up the converter at lower RPM's to run cooler and make the shifts slip less like a shift kit would on a old style transmission. All that making firmer shifts, but running cooler. Also, you can switch on the fly between transmission tunes for different driving environment's.

There is some clearing that needs to be done to fit the 351w starter, but that looks pretty straight forward.

We will see, I have to get the tub modified first to get my 72 body on my 86 chassis before I can deal with the transmission. I will probably run my C6 at first, but with the 6R80 in mind while doing the install.

David Wright

36Fan
Bronco Info: 1967 Half Cab

Post by 36Fan »

Nice. Put up some pics when you get started.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I've looked into it for my 1 ton. If I do it it'll be the 10r140 and I'll wait a year or two. Better splits and if you're going bigger, the 6 speed gear splits are closer to an e4od vs the 10 speed.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Wrightracing.net

I like the idea of the 10r140, but the length becomes an issue in a Long travel Bronco's rear driveline angles. Also, with using the 6R80E, I get the benefit of it being used in the F150 and the mustang for a number of years knowing what updates or changes maybe need to do for long term durability. The availability of aftermarket parts and low mileage junkyard transmission's at great prices is better on the pocket book. I was considering spending $2500-$3000 on a trans that could handle a 600-800 horsepower motor.

I looked at the 6R140, but the seem to be for Diesel motors, so that makes me wonder what the gears are in 1-6. I suspect they are rated at a lower RPM then a Gas motor. Again with the length of the 6R140 looks to be longer.

If I was looking at a Transmission to replace the one in my F350 that did not cost $5000+ might be an Allison 6 speed or the 10R140 after a few more years of them working out any issues that may come up.

But in my case, I am happy with my 1999 F350 behind the 7.3L diesel after I had it upgraded by Valley Transmission in El Cajon, CA and after I put a 45,000lbs transmission cooler with a adjustable torque converter controller letting me lock the converter up at slower speed's. It was a great upgrade that helped make it run cooler towing over the mountains be limiting the torque converter from slipping and changing gears back and forth.

Sorry for the long post.

In the end, in my Bronco, the six speed will work better for me to jump up on the freeway when needed. My Bronco will be primarily an off road trailer toy. But taking long trips in it will be nice.

David Wright

hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Nothing wrong with that at all. I haven't measured the difference myself yet. I have a 97 f350 cclb with a 460 which is why I'd like to hold out until the 10R140 gets more abuse on the road. I like the idea they are stacking it behind the 7.3 gas which will help out since it has the same bellhousing pattern as a modular and they sell the adapters. The more gears you can have the better you'll stay in the power band. If I remember correctly, the 6r140 has a close 6th to the od in an e4od.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

So the 6R80 will not match up to the factory NP208/BW1345/BW1356?I'm interested in putting one behind the 393 going in the F100, but only if it fitted the current NP208. Not interested in going to a '205.
Wrightracing.net

I would talk to Advanced Adapter's and see if they make and transfer case adapter for the NP208. That is your best bet.

I am running the NP205 on mine, but the adapter is around $400.