EFI type

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

EFI type

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Hey Guy's, I am layed up in bed with a severely herniated disc, so what do I do, obsesse about what I want to do on my 72 full-size Bronco project.

Well, I am contemplating what type of EFI I want to use on my stroker motor. I have the multiport fuel injection that was stuck on the 351 Windsor and I was thinking of running the Holly EFI HP system to control it. My other thought is to run a carbureted intake and use one of those all in one EFI conversions like the sniper by Holly. I personally would like to get rid of the upper intake that a stock 351 Windsor uses that whole setup is rather big and I would like to do something different like the Holly EFI throttle body.

What are you guys using as far as multi-part fuel injection controllers and throttle bodies to get more power and reliability?

If you are running the carburetor EFI conversion, is that a better setup or is the multiport better.

Since I don't want to have to run a big scoop on the 72 Hood I want to keep everything as low profile as possible. What also came to mind is the Ford 460 throttle body that is used with multiport fuel injection.

I would appreciate any advice from someone who's actually done these type of injection systems.

Thank you.

David Wright

36Fan
Bronco Info: 1967 Half Cab

Re: EFI type

Post by 36Fan »

Lots of different answers available. Im assuming it will be a 9.5 deck 351w block? Do you want to be able to access the tuning software and are you familiar with tuning? Do you have a budget you want to stay within? Personally I dont care for the Sniper style set ups. Whatever you decide on the saying garbage in, garbage out is very relevant to an efi you build.
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Post by Andy Jones »

I’m running the Holley sniper system on my stroker motor. No complaints, and easy to tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

I wonder if the multiport ford intake with a Holley EFI HP system would be a good plug in. I do want to be able to tune it with a laptop, but I like the self tuning option.

I also saw the Holley intank fuel pump and I like the idea of keeping it cooler in the tank.

My budget is around $2000.

I have a Edelbrock Victor Jr single plane Air gap intake. I was wondering what would be better?

David Wright

36Fan
Bronco Info: 1967 Half Cab

Post by 36Fan »

You could run the Terminator, HP or Dominator. A GT40 intake will work or you could use a Holley, Wilson, Kinsler etc, 4BBL 4150 TB and single plane intake like the Vic JR EFI. I run the Bosch 044 intank pumps in both Broncos and F150 prerunner, never had a problem with them. If you have never tuned or even dealt with efi software, it would be a good idea to download the software from Holleys website for whatever ECU you decide to run and start learning. "Self learning" ecu is not exactly what most think. The software download is free from Holley. Also start looking for youtube videos on Holley efi, I suggest Joe Simpson at Tempest. Also start reading up on the Holley EFI forums, lots of valuable info there.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

FI Tech. Some swear by them, some swear at them, but properly installed AND properly set up, they work just fine. Young guy at work has one on his 65 Falcon with a 5.0L EFI engine converted to carb. He was having trouble with it so he asked me to help. One base gasket, reset the controller correctly and fixed a few vacuum leaks and the car runs just fine. I'm going to use one (2V version) on my F100 when I finish MY engine for it.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Just my $0.02c worth.
Wrightracing.net

Hey Guys, after a bit of research, I want to do a Multi Port Fuel injection setup with a Holley ram intake for a 351w. They use a GM LS throttle body. I will probably go with a 102mm one that uses a normal throttle cable style, I don't want a drive by wire.

Next is to decide on a engine management system. I am torn between the Holley Terminator that supports 1200 HP and several other version that have more options like dual O2 sensors to control the 2 bank's separately for better tuning.

I would like something that I can transfer to a Big Block one day. For now, I am going to run the 351w, but I may go to a Big Block with aluminum heads and intake. I have seen a couple companies that offer a 532cc 630HP and 602 torque for $4500
I would have to get a cam for it, but it's worth getting to choose my own one. A stroker small block in the same range would be over $9000 or more.
I know people say the weight is higher by around a 100 LBS, but the higher HP and torque possibilities makes it worth it.

We will see, just to get the Bronco running, the motor I have will run it till I get a bigger one I want.

David Wright

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Fact
Multi point EFI is better than carb replacment EFI (CEFI). Popularity and cost is not the criteria. It is all about the poor fuel/air distribution for the CEFI sustems. And the intake is really the issue for the CEFI.
I suggest you watch Engine Masters re runs on the web to see the differences. It is not good the have a hot or cold cylinder caused by poor air/fuel from the CEFI setup.
Sure enough MPEFI will cost more, but the modified stock Ford is among setups that can be done with reasonable cost and great results.
Wrightracing.net

Thanks Paul.
Ya, I have watched all the EFI shows on Engine Masters. That is where I got the idea for the single plane intake. I did see on the show where they said MPFI would be better on super Charger blow through boost. But they have not done a shoot out of MPFI verses a Throttle body EFI yet, David Friburger did say they want to do that one of these days.

I am bidding on a 556 Ford big block for the Bronco. Cross your fingers.

David Wright

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Get well
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

What heads on the BBF ? Good luck on the back. Just sold my bronco do to spinal injury
Wrightracing.net

Sorry to hear out the Bronco and surgery. I am probably going to have to get surgery also, but fortunately my insurance will cover it.

As for the heads were a unbranded cnc ported aluminum heads. The calculated HP is 650 with 605 foot pounds of torque. I like the idea of the higher HP and torque possibility and it makes up for the weight.

I think I am going to wait until I get the Bronco to a roller before I get a motor. I have a 351w that I can run. I was thinking of getting a Holley terminator multi Port EFI. With that setup I would be able to use it on a Big Block also and it supports up to 1200 HP, which I would not go past 750 because of the transmission I want to get for the Big Block which is rated at 800HP.

We will see, I have a ton of work to do.

David Wright

Wrightracing.net

I did look for more info on the heads for the Big Block and they are Pro Comp, 2.190-1.710 95cc

I can get the 532ci stroker bored .030 over stock long block with everything except the valve train like the rockers, push rods and Cam.
For $4300 plus $550 shipping.
The company is I am going to do more research into them.

David Wright

Wrightracing.net

Ok, an update
I ordered a Holley Terminator X MPFI system with a dual sync Holley distributor.

Next is to get a Edlebrock Super Victor MPFI intake, a Holley low profile throttle body and to figure out the coil-ignition system from Holley to get the best results with the Terminator and dual sync distributor.

David