Bead-locks on the street?

ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Bead-locks on the street?

Post by ntsqd »

My issue is that I need 8x6.5 wheels for the Blanc-Oh! I want a machined finish (do NOT get me started on how ugly I think black wheels are), 3.5" Back-Space, 17x8 or 17x9. Tire size will be 315/70R17 in a flavor YTBD but likely BFG A/T's or Yoko A/T's (once either is available again!). There's a fair number of 8 lug wheels out there in 17, but almost all of them have more back-spacing than I want. I don't feel a scrub radius problem now, going with more BS might introduce that. Current 5 lug wheels are 3.5 BS and I highly value the tight turning radius that those allow.

I really, really wish AR23's were made in 17, but they are not and the AR23 8 lug 16x8 has a BS greater than 3.5"

After some considerable time looking I've only managed to find two wheels that fit my criteria, Trail Ready and Method 106. The Trail Ready's can be ordered without even a fake bead-lock looking ring. The 106's only come (AFAIK) in bead-lock.

In days of old, bead-locks had a reputation for not holding air over long time periods. Is that still the case, or has technology solved that problem?
Cross-threaded is tighter than Lock-Tite.
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Re: Bead-locks on the street?

Post by Andy Jones »

I have never had an issue with Beadlocks losing air. Old or new. My new KMC’s hold air just like my old champions and ultras did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk
ntsqd
Bronco Info: '70 Early Bronco SuperCab Shortbed Pick-up "Bronc-up" aka "Frank(entruck)", '96 OJB "Blanc-Oh!"

Post by ntsqd »

thank you!

Ping'd a friend who has B-L's on his JK and has had them for quite a while. His experience has been the same as yours. I think that I go my impression of bead-locks back when there were very few wheels that started out as bead-locks and most were welded-on conversions. I just haven't had much exposure to them since.
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Post by Andy Jones »

They’re definitely a better choice. You can mount and dismount your own tires as well. The key to owning them is to keep up on the maintenance. Just make sure they’re torqued to spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

It basically comes down to the person setting the ring must do it correctly and no air loss will happen . wrong and they leak.
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

Is there a write-up somewhere on how to do it right? These will be my own first set of them.

I mounted one set of the dune buggy's 31's using motorcycle tire irons. It was not as difficult as it seems like it might be, but I was 20 years younger.....
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

The Dirt every day guys honestly have a great video tutorial on mounting beadlocks. My methods don't leak either. Ford for the raptor bead lock wheels have a detailed sequence you can use - guessing Fords method is solid. If American would just build AR-23's exactly like the others in a 17" -I'd be in heaven!!
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

One thing about the Ford instructions is it says to torque the bolts to like 45 ft pounds and I think the bolts are only 5/16" - at 45ft #'s you'll obviously be stripping the aluminum or breaking the bolts off

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

Thanks!
the 5 gal bucket idea is a winner!
36Fan
Bronco Info: 1967 Half Cab

Post by 36Fan »

I run beadlocks on my 5 of my vehicles and they are all street driven, never had an air loss problem. Factory Raptor wheels, Ultras, Champion wheels have all been quality,with quite a few tires changes over the years. My Methods are the worse quality wheels I've ever owned, from the threads being poorly machined to the powder coating.

I use a dirt bike motorcycle stand to rest the wheels on while I bolt down the rings, I use 6 bolts about 1" longer than the regular BL bolts to get the ring started. Usually the new tires wont let the ring seat down far enough to get enough threads started before cranking them down. I spray the bead with Armorall to help center the bead to tire when torquing the bolts. One set of the wheels have beadlocks inner and outer on the rim with 37 BFG KR2's.......not fun. lol
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

You can buy Bead-lock rims that are DOT approved. List price is ~$1400 for 4.
ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

36, Thank you for relaying your depth of experience with these wheels. I plan to look more closely at these Method wheels when they do arrive. If they have powder-coat on them it will be clear. If Method made the same wheel w/o the bead-lock I'd have ordered them instead. They do make a wheel similar in appearance, but it isn't offered in a machined finish (only black or bronze) or in 8x6.5 with a 3.5" back-space.

Paul, I'm not too concerned about DOT compliance. I suspect that the DOT rules would be modified to allow common bead-lock design if one of the OEM's pushed for it. Used to be that even an H4 lens/reflector headlight wasn't DOT compliant and look how far that has changed.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I am in the same boat. I plan to run a F250 8 lug dana 50 with the Dana 44 geometry. I want to get a set of Hutchinson dual beadlocks with a slotted mag wheel style. I saw a picture of one, but they only have the lug pattern for a 21-22 Bronco.

If I can convince them to make a 8 lug version, that would be awesome on my 72-86 fullsize Early Bronco Project.

David

ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

The single time that I talked to Hutchinson at SEMA many years ago they weren't interested in talking to me until I was talking a very large, nearly OEM sized order.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

ntsqd wrote:The single time that I talked to Hutchinson at SEMA many years ago they weren't interested in talking to me until I was talking a very large, nearly OEM sized order.
Ya, I am not surprised. I am looking for a 8on6.5 Ford F-250 slotted mag wheel 17x8.5 in Forged Aluminum. I am talking to a company that converts Aluminum wheels to double beadlock. I just need to find the forged aluminum slotted Mag wheel in the size and lug pattern. Then Have them converted. I am waiting for a reply to my message I sent over Facebook. They did ask what backspacing I was going for, they also will adjust the wheel to the desired backspacing. The company is Mac Fab Beadlock's.

From what little knowledge I have is that Forged Aluminum is stronger than cast Aluminum. Anyone know if that is true ??

ImageImage

David

ntsqd

Post by ntsqd »

Generally a forged anything is stronger than a cast anything. However a perfectly good forging can be ruined by how and where it's machined, and a good casting can be made a little better by how it's post casting processed, and what process is used in the first place. The only forged wheels that I know of for sure are the early 00's 16X6.5 8 lug GM wheels made by Alcoa, and some or all of the Mickey Thompson wheels that are also made by Alcoa. I'm sure that there is niche wheels made from a forging and there are probably common wheels made from a forging that I'm unaware of, but for the most part aluminum wheels are cast or spun.
Wrightracing.net

ntsqd wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:38 pm
Generally a forged anything is stronger than a cast anything. However a perfectly good forging can be ruined by how and where it's machined, and a good casting can be made a little better by how it's post casting processed, and what process is used in the first place. The only forged wheels that I know of for sure are the early 00's 16X6.5 8 lug GM wheels made by Alcoa, and some or all of the Mickey Thompson wheels that are also made by Alcoa. I'm sure that there is niche wheels made from a forging and there are probably common wheels made from a forging that I'm unaware of, but for the most part aluminum wheels are cast or spun.
Wrightracing.net

Thanks