Planning a Bronco Build

RacerX
Bronco Info: 96, XLT, 5.0

Planning a Bronco Build

Post by RacerX »

So I am planning a build and I am tossed on what year to look for or if the year even matters for my purpose. I am looking at the 92-96 years. I have gone through the various threads already and have some questions upon the build year info that has already been discussed.

My Build Plans:
Motor: Simple as possible. I am in California so I am limited anyways. I want to keep it simple. Anything that I would do to the motor would be to get the best possible mpg out of it for road trips. I know that would involve only driving on windy days with a tail wind. I am not looking to go crazy at all on the motor. I know the 5.0 has a lot of aftermarket options and the 5.8 speed density years has lightning bolt on options.

Suspension: The basic setup, C/O front. Rear would have the new shock mount and leafs.

When it comes to which year to get, is there really any difference suspension/frame wise that would matter between the 92-96? I know there were the spindle differences for 91-94 and 94-96. Is that big deal? Should I worry about that?

Motor wise over the years I know the 94-96 5.0 is MAF and 95-96 5.8 is MAF with the 96 getting OBII. With my plan to keep the motor simple, should I be focused on one year of another? I plan to keep it simple so its not a pain to smog. I know the pre 94 doesn't have r134 AC but that's easy to change if I needed to.

Thanks in advance.
mobil1syn
Bronco Info: 1996 - operation mijo hauler

Re: Planning a Bronco Build

Post by mobil1syn »

i had a 96 with a 5.8, obd2 there is almost no CARB engine upgrades options. my assumption is that it was the last model year and first year of obd2. if you want to keep things simple, an 96 with a obd2 5.8 is probably the best option.

manual hubs, manual tcase, cleanest interior, and straightest body would be at the top of my list.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

OBD2 is a better option, but parts for the 5.8 are limited. IIRC 92 5.0 blocks are roller, with the 5.8 getting it in 94-95. I'd go roller if I were you. I had a 92 with a 96 5.8 roller block and now have a 96 5.0 roller. I still feel the 96 has more than the old 5.8 did.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

Thanks for the info. I am keeping a look out to see what pops up. I've seen a few 95's with 5.0. Everyone wants a fortune for their stock setups.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

You're going to pay through the nose for any bronco now days since ford brought them back. They've gone insanely high.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

That's why I am looking at the varying years and motor options. A 96 would be nice but the prices are too high. I've found some 94 and 95 with 5.0, so I am weighing that option as well.
mobil1syn
Bronco Info: 1996 - operation mijo hauler

Post by mobil1syn »

i would seriously considering buying something already built. even at the current inflated prices you are breaking even and potentially being money ahead in the long run.
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

Buying a build rig will save you time and a lot of money
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

mobil1syn wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:49 pm
i would seriously considering buying something already built. even at the current inflated prices you are breaking even and potentially being money ahead in the long run.
C'mon Chris, you know I don't want something prebuilt or I would have bought yours. You are probably saying to your self "I have already gone over this with him" haha

I am in no rush for a finished build. The build would be over time as I don't want to drop a ton of money at once.