2-way comm sets. School me...

Trailteamsix
Bronco Info: 1990 Ford Bronco

2-way comm sets. School me...

Post by Trailteamsix »

For those of us (me) that cannot afford a killer Rugged or PCI comm set, what are the options for a lower cost 2 or 4 person set that music can still be played thru? My Bronco doesn't have any insulation so it would be nice to have a manageable convo while headed to the desert, etc. Cant really find anything online. Are there any other options? Thanks...
Trailteamsix

Re: 2-way comm sets. School me...

Post by Trailteamsix »

Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. My bad.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

I can help PM me.

Willie
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

I picked up a baofeng handheld for like $60 off of Amazon and it’s worked great.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Trailteamsix wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:12 pm
For those of us (me) that cannot afford a killer Rugged or PCI comm set, what are the options for a lower cost 2 or 4 person set that music can still be played thru? My Bronco doesn't have any insulation so it would be nice to have a manageable convo while headed to the desert, etc. Cant really find anything online. Are there any other options? Thanks...
FYI, GFB members get a great discount at Rugged Radios.

We (Rugged) have a new, lower-cost intercom launching soon. We are finishing up production now and should have them soon. Let me know if you want more info on it.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Trailteamsix ,
Probably no an applicable comment for most of the readers since they have open rigs with headsets or helmets.
If you have an enclosed rig then an intercom can be avoided.
Make the rig quiet and be happy without an intercom without headsets or helmets. Otherwise spendy even with bargain parts.
805BroncoAZ
Bronco Info: 1993 Ford Bronco

Post by 805BroncoAZ »

SteveG wrote:
Trailteamsix wrote:

We (Rugged) have a new, lower-cost intercom launching soon. We are finishing up production now and should have them soon. Let me know if you want more info on it.
Interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trailteamsix

Post by Trailteamsix »

SteveG wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:54 pm
Trailteamsix wrote:

Nice! I am interested. Thanks!
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

PaulW wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:34 am
Trailteamsix ,
Probably no an applicable comment for most of the readers since they have open rigs with headsets or helmets.
If you have an enclosed rig then an intercom can be avoided.
Make the rig quiet and be happy without an intercom without headsets or helmets. Otherwise spendy even with bargain parts.
Please go back in time and make Wilson quieter 😂

Haha. Wise words. Wilson now has sound-deadening material on the entire front cab and we will add it to the area from the rear seat back. I’m not sure it’ll be quite enough, though... with all the cage work (we are also wrapping it with upholstery), mud tires, bypasses, noisy rear end, and exhaust that exits just behind the passenger door, it’s just plain loud. I put a bout 800 miles on it (mostly freeway) in the past few days and didn’t spend but a few minutes without either a headset or ear buds in... will continue to work on quieting it down.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

805BroncoAZ wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:35 pm
Interested!
Shoot me an email with name and phone number. I’ll have someone reach out to you.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Trailteamsix wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:46 pm
Nice! I am interested. Thanks!
Shoot me an email with name and phone number. I’ll have someone reach out to you. We have tons of options that can make a system a lot more affordable than most people think. Plus, GFB discount... 😉
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Just an option is a used Airplane intercom. I picked a Sigtronics intercom that can be used with 6 people and it came with a stereo modual. I got it off Ebay for $60. I just looked and you can get them from $50 to $150. It came with the pigtail connector, so I had to wire everything myself. Fortunately I know the technical workings of race communications.
I wired my car stereo un amplified pre output to the intercom. The cool thing is I connected my phone via Bluetooth and when a phone call comes in it mutes the music. I currently can't talk back through the intercom, but I was thinking if patching the intercom to the car stereo microphone directly with a coil to deal with ohms issues between the two like we do with intercom modifications to race radios like the Kenwood Tk790H.

I think anyone with a basic understanding of wiring could make their own custom wire harness for the airplane intercom. You can get most wire diagrams online for free.

I used all the industry standard connectors for the intercom to a Off-Road intercom. I also used really well shielded cables with 12v motor noise filters on the radio and intercom power. Also, I put ferrite cores on all the cable's. Result was no engine noise at all in the system.

I even converted 4 helicopter headsets by David Clark. I replaced the microphone on the boom to a PCI mic element that plugged directly to the original David Clark boom. I had to change the wiring on the off road connection, but that was easy. It basically cost me $200 for all 4 head sets and they are much better than most cheap headsets out on the market for $100 each.

Just some options for the diy guys.
With a limited budget. ImageImage

David