Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by SteveG »

I was thinking a thread on wiring and all it encompasses would be a good resource to have on the board. When I have to time to do it right, wiring is something I have always enjoyed. I'm currently rebuilding an EFI harness out of an SL500 and thought this would be a good time to start a thread and add some content.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Wiring, switches, tools, tips, tricks and more

Post by SteveG »

A couple new crimpers I picked up.
uploadfromtaptalk1377580384062.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1377580384062.jpg (52.86 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

How do the red ones work.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

I believe the red ones work like a iris ( think opening credits of an old James Bond film or a camera shutter), I used to use similar for coax cables. Steve I have a bad ass butane soldering iron ill post a pic of, and also my assortment of pin pushers. The soldering iron I have I got at fry's electronics and has swappable tips the best thing about it is they sell a tire grooving attachment for it.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

The red ones are for Deutsch terminals. I don't have any of the connectors but I liked the crimpers enough to buy them. I might pick up a connector kit later.

They crimp the terminals at 4 points. These are cheap crimpers. The high-end tool crimps at 8 points. Bitchin' but not necessary for my stuff. The good ones are also over $200.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Soldering station.

Admittedly, I'm not sophisticated enough to use all the settings. I use it at full throttle and love it... reaches max temp in less than a minute. Perfect for impatient hacks such as myself.
uploadfromtaptalk1377589630278.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1377589630278.jpg (57.96 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Harbor Freight wire holding chingus.

This thing rocks and use the hell out of it. Fill the ends ends of the alligator clips special the thumb screws don't collapse when you tighten them and it will give you years of service for less than $5.
uploadfromtaptalk1377589887876.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1377589887876.jpg (46.81 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

12v power supply.

Another tool I use the hell out of. From charging RC car batteries to testing EFI harnesses. This item is so useful I have two. I'd Love to have a high-amp power supply but those are big bucks....
uploadfromtaptalk1377590095257.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1377590095257.jpg (55.87 KiB) Viewed 1020 times
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

Great idea for a thread. My problem with wiring is finding a source for decent hardware. Only good stuff around me is at marine stores and boy do you pay marine prices for it.

I want to buy a weather pack kit with tons of terminals and different connectors but cant find a decent deal. Large gauge terminal ends are hard to find...heck even decent wire is hard to come by around here.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

You were on a roll with all sorts of good ideas for threads yesterday Steve!

1st basic thing to add: I have a lot of the 3m heat shrink tube with glue in it and like that stuff. Gives an added amount of "weatherproofing"

Seabass -
I had MarVac electronics around the corner when I was in Costa Mesa. I got my basic connectors there, and they had some canon type plugs, etc. as they were a surplus seller, but much of the specialty stuff you gotta order everything online it seems.

When I've gotten stuff in the past online it was from delcity.net

Rod also had a guy on eBay that he bought a weatherpack kit off of. I have that saved somewhere. I guess the guy will customize the package to your needs.

I also got a ratcheting crimper off eBay for cheap ($15 shipped if I remember right) afer reading a review on another forum saying it was the same as the one the guy bought for 2-3 times as much.
I haven't had it out of the box to try it yet, but here's my arsenal...

I should probably step up my soldering iron, but to be honest I haven't soldered too many of my connectors in the past. This is something I'm trying to change.
Attachments
Wiring tools.jpg
Wiring tools.jpg (81.75 KiB) Viewed 987 times
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Oh - I also have one of those wire holder chingaderas from HF. It's made my life easier a time or 2.

And as far as a list of what's pictured above - the ratcheting crimpers took over for a set of hand crimpers I wasn't super happy with. Again, haven't tried the new ones yet, so can't report on them.

Yellow handled strippers I LOVE. I finally spent a little $ on decent ones and they are so much nicer than the generic crap I've had in the past.

Green handles ones are a generic barrel crimper. Handles are long enough to get some good leverage!

Red handles are a set of the HF "flush cutters". Instead of having a tapered back side to the cutting edge like typical dikes, these have a flat back so they cut whatever you're cutting flush with the back of the tool. These are what saves you from those little cut off tails on the zip ties that always seem to attack you & draw blood!
I was debating on spending the $$ on the "real" ones and saw these for something like $2. They aren't as well made as a quality brand, but have been kicking around my shop for 3-4 years or more now & have definitely served their purpose.
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Oh strippers I LOVE. I finally spent a little $ on decent ones and they are so much nicer than the generic crap I've had in the past.

Heehee me too! Good strippers are worth the dough lol

Red handles are a set of the HF "flush cutters".

have the same ones and plan on grabbing a couple extra next time for the tool bags in my trucks. Just dont use them for anytg8ng big and they last forever
poolman
Bronco Info: 84 Bronco,Body off reconstruction. Auto Fab suspension,mix of 84-96 parts.

Post by poolman »

I'm looking for an underhood harnes for an 88-91 Bronco or F150. It will have the 2-1.5 in round connector through the fire wall. Mostly need the connector piece (female) I have some computers out of a 91 manual trans 5.0 and a 94 or 95 Bronco 351w. Will trade for??????????
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

poolman wrote:I'm looking for an underhood harnes for an 88-91 Bronco or F150. It will have the 2-1.5 in round connector through the fire wall. Mostly need the connector piece (female) I have some computers out of a 91 manual trans 5.0 and a 94 or 95 Bronco 351w. Will trade for??????????
So you need the 60 pin ECM connector or the complete harness?
poolman
Bronco Info: 84 Bronco,Body off reconstruction. Auto Fab suspension,mix of 84-96 parts.

Post by poolman »

Yes on the connector, the harness would be cool. Mostly stipping out what I don't need. I deleted too much on the one I'm using now. Took the a/c shit out by mistake.
poolman

Post by poolman »

No!!!!!!!! I dont need the ECM harness ( I just read your reply again Steve) the round main harness that connects at the fire wall to the dash wiring.
poolman

Post by poolman »

Must be the heat........I guess that is all one piece huh?
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

I don't think I have an extra. I have a harness out of a 91 (I think) but I've already started to rebuild it... now that the Bronco is for sale, I'll probably just sell the harness when I'm done.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Basic DIY Wiring. My experience after all these years.
I hardly ever solder since crimping is now state of the art. Crimping is fast and do not need heat shrink
If you waste your money on high tech connectors then you also have to have high tech crimpers. Be sure you want them when the low tech works fine with a little bit of dielectric grease.
Get the correct tools. The tools I use most commonly are:
A wire stripper 2 kinds
A ratchet terminal crimper
A small wire cutter.
About a thousand zip ties both white and black from Harbor Freight. (7”) - Ha
If you are real new to this activity buy a book to understand the basics.
- - - -
Striper
Like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Wire-Cutter-S ... 51b0f2c965
and the other one like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Electri ... 46126048f0
If you get a used one of these used make sure it has new dies
Crimpers
The reason for a ratchet crimper is for consistent crimps. When you do 10 or more crimps in a sitting your grip gets weak and the result is bad crimps.
A selection
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=ele ... ng+crimper
If I needed another one I would choose this one which does 3 colors of terminals
http://www.ebay.com/itm/RATCHETING-CRIM ... 51b0178e89
Wire cutters
Like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/XURON-170-II-MI ... 337e9e6d83
The HF ones work fine just buy a couple in case you kill one. Other brands are better, but cost more than 3 from HF. Great for cutting the zip ties and you reroute your wire bundle.
Reading for someone that is new to the activity
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/b ... key=876432
Understanding crimping
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/Cr ... tools.html
Terminals
Best ones allow with a double metal crimp to grab the wire and the insulation. Have to get at a specialty place selling AMP or other industrial source with a comparable product. I use Radio Shack, NAPA, or Home Depot. They work fine for a truck, but they do not grab the insulation. I still double crimp and get a wimpy insulation grip.
Other marine and specialty terminals are not needed.
Fuses vs circuit breakers.
Copy the methods or real oem engineers and avoid circuit breakers .
Wire size. Get a chart for amps vs wire gauge and use it. Do not use smaller than 22ga due to being too fragile.
After you choose the wire size then choose the fuse to match the wire.
Every wire must have a fuse even when less than 1 amp. For these low amp I use a 3 amp fuse & 22ga
Fuse panels
Typical
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-purpose-F ... d9&vxp=mtr
Nicer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Position-ATO ... bd&vxp=mtr
In line type
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scosche-ATCFH14 ... 62&vxp=mtr
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Here's a tip: cut all zip ryes as flush as possible, they will make you bleed faster than you know. I realize its common sence but its pretty dang important point for an armature zip the guy.