Truetrac chatter?

Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Truetrac chatter?

Post by Phoenix0783 »

I finished the 9 inch swap with 4.56 gears in my '95 a couple of weekends ago. Ever since, whenever I get on it around a sharp corner, like pulling into traffic, I can feel and hear a chatter/binding noise. It seems fine other wise and doesn't do it in a straight line. Any ideas?
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: Truetrac chatter?

Post by PaulW »

Phoenix0783 wrote:I finished the 9 inch swap with 4.56 gears in my '95 a couple of weekends ago. Ever since, whenever I get on it around a sharp corner, like pulling into traffic, I can feel and hear a chatter/binding noise. It seems fine other wise and doesn't do it in a straight line. Any ideas?
=
Something must be wrong. I have thousands of miles on my front TT with the hubs locked with nothing to report. I find the thing totally transparent.
I wonder if your rear setup is different? Ford uses the TT on the F350 dually (D60 or 80?) and it works like my front, meaning it is totally transparent, and only locks when needed.
Its a great limited slip.
PW
Conejoracer
Bronco Info: 1992 XLT 5.8, Beater

Post by Conejoracer »

I've read that they do not like synthetic oils, so you might check on what oil is in the diff. I'm getting this same set up installed into my 8.8 tomorrow, so I have been reading up on the True Trac. How do you like the 456 gears?
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Conejoracer wrote:I've read that they do not like synthetic oils, so you might check on what oil is in the diff. I'm getting this same set up installed into my 8.8 tomorrow, so I have been reading up on the True Trac. How do you like the 456 gears?
====
BS
I discussed lube with the TT engineer at a tech show and he said use what the oem said to use with no additives. The TT manual that came with the install said the same thing. Read your owners manual for the weight callout. If it says use Motorcraft synthetic then any syn with the proper weight callout will work fine. I have used Motorcraft, AMSOIL, and the racer full syn with no issues at all. The racer stuff is always heavier for less fuel economy. Lots of full syn lubes out there use any of them with the proper weight. Full Syn is always better in every application I ever read about. You get a better product for a lot more money.
Paul
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

PaulW wrote:Something must be wrong. I have thousands of miles on my front TT with the hubs locked with nothing to report. I find the thing totally transparent.
I wonder if your rear setup is different? Ford uses the TT on the F350 dually (D60 or 80?) and it works like my front, meaning it is totally transparent, and only locks when needed.
Its a great limited slip.
PW
The backlash and gear pattern were all good when I put it together. I used a yukon gearset and the coast pattern is a little off, but the drive pattern is spot on. I put in an extra pint and a half of oil to help get it to the pinion since the pinion angle is a little higher than stock, but it was doing it before and after.
Conejoracer wrote:I've read that they do not like synthetic oils, so you might check on what oil is in the diff. I'm getting this same set up installed into my 8.8 tomorrow, so I have been reading up on the True Trac. How do you like the 456 gears?
Just 80-90w dino juice.

4.56s are a lot better with 35" tires. Overdrive is now useful and mileage has increased a little bit on the highway. Not really any quicker accelerating, though.
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

I had the same problem on my 8.8. I took the tru trac appart a saw that there was galling between the helical gears and the case. I called detriot locker and they did not offer any opinions. I installed a new tru trac and have not had a problem since.