Long drive hiccups

lugobean
Bronco Info: stocker 94 xlt with 351w and e40d. nothin special... yet!

Long drive hiccups

Post by lugobean »

Hey guys I'm back! Still no progress on the bronco but with work and school I've been out of both money and time. Anyway the bronco has a hiccup.

94 xlt with the 5.8 and e40d

Anytime I drive a long distance, 100 miles+ she just craps out on me. The engine starts sputtering like its out of gas then dies and won't restart. If I wait an hour or two and let whatever cool offi can go another 20 miles or so. It's not a fuel issue that I can see because I pop the rail and there's plenty of pressure. It's not overheating, in fact it doesn't get over like 170 ever. My conclusion was something ignition-wise and simple so I did the oldschool trick and replaced the ignition module and it seemed to help but the problem came back. Any ideas or anyone experienced the same thing?

Chris
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Re: Long drive hiccups

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I had that issue. Turned out to be a worn out fuel pump. After a while it heats up and would cut out.
lugobean

Post by lugobean »

Wouldn't it cool down pretty quick though?
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Nope id have to wait a half hour. If thats your issue youll notice after 20 minutes you cant nail the throttle because itll bog out.
lugobean

Post by lugobean »

I guess it's time for a fuel pump! Much appreciated man
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

What brand of module did you use? I had to buy an off brand module when I was out of town and it took 3 tries to get a good one. Just sayin'
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

My pip sensor in the distributor was similar. It would act up when hot and run well when cool. It started as a miss and progressively got worse. SOmething to check any ways. When I was researching my problem it seemed to be pretty common.
Kel Fab Creations
Bronco Info: 95 Bronco

Post by Kel Fab Creations »

Fuel pump getting hot for sure. The exact problem your describing happened in my old motorhome on the way to glamis. Ended up being a day and a half drive instead of 3.5 hrs. We eventually got to glamis after replacing the fuel filter twice and a new distributor and ignition module. Limped it the whole way giving time to cool as it got hot. At the time I figured it was a bad sensor getting hot and crapping out. Set up camp and dropped the tank. You wouldn't believe the stalagtites living in there! The pump was surrounded with a cocoon of varnished gas. Luckily we were camping with other people so we had a way to get into town. Headed into town and got a new pump/filter and cleaned the inside of the tank at a help yourself carwash. :o This RV was a hand me down from my wifes step dad. Had been sitting for at least 7 years and I didn't think to clean the tank because it was running so good when I picked it up.
lugobean

Post by lugobean »

flyinbronco wrote:What brand of module did you use? I had to buy an off brand module when I was out of town and it took 3 tries to get a good one. Just sayin'
lugobean

Post by lugobean »

Ignore that quote my phone whacked out. But kel that's what's going on so thanks man. And I might grab another module just to have around.
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

I grabbed a spare at the junkyard out of a 460 powered truck of the same year as my bronco. It cost me 10-15 bucks and because it's in the spare bin in the truck it'll never fail :lol:
blueoval8493
Bronco Info: 1994 F-150 super cab with 347.

Post by blueoval8493 »

Maybe you already have this issue fixed but I had a coil go bad and it took me months to find. I did a ton of work to truck over the winter and thought I did something wrong. Did mass air swap, motor mounts, the list goes on and on. Thought it was a fuel issue so put in walbro pump and still had problems. Ended up being a bad coil. Would only do it after the engine really got good and heat soaked.