Tail gate tire carrier promblems.

TurboJoe
Bronco Info: 1968 with 302 Highpinion 44 and 31 spline 9" on 38's and 1996 xlt 351 prerunner in the making

Tail gate tire carrier promblems.

Post by TurboJoe »

Hey everyone! I went to Barstow on saturday and had a great time. Im having trouble with my tail gate On my 96, Where the outer skin wraps around the inner tail gate it started to rip at the top passenger corner, I have a 33x12.50r15 BFG A/T on an Outlaw ll ( not very heavy but I guess heavy enough ) Has anyone else had this problem? And whats a good way to repair reinforce it? I would like to leave it outside but if this is normal Ill just have to move it inside...

Thanks,
Joe
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Re: Tail gate tire carrier promblems.

Post by robertcrav »

I have the same issue, and no solution :-/
TurboJoe
Bronco Info: 1968 with 302 Highpinion 44 and 31 spline 9" on 38's and 1996 xlt 351 prerunner in the making

Post by TurboJoe »

Kinda figured it was common, Thanks though. If no-one has an amazing idea Ill try and figure something out, I just really like the space and the stock look.

Joe
economig
Bronco Info: 1994 Eddie Bauer 5.8L

Post by economig »

For clarification, almost everyone who has offroaded a bronco fast has had this problem. My last one, the tailgate peeled down like a banana.

Put your tire in the back or support your tire carrier from a new spot on an after market bumper. I came up with a reinforcement plate for the tailgate but not the corner of the bedside.

I wouldn't advise hanging anything on the body panel sheet metal though. If you look through some of the threads, there's some really nice racks that go over a spare in the back and act as a tray or stand
T H R E A T Motorsports
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

2 'solutions' I've seen... Put it on the floor inside or a frame mounted bumper carrier....I saw a bumper/tire carrier that Darren at Autofab built that I think is about perfect...but of course don't have pics...

It mounted the tire facing the tailgate so it's harder to steal, 2 Kerry can mounts and a highlight mount. Similar to Ricks (Flyin Bronco) but with everything mounted facing in
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

I believe if you go to Kellys build (Kel-Fab) he built some nice little tie-ins for his factory rack.
TurboJoe

Post by TurboJoe »

robertcrav wrote:2 'solutions' I've seen... Put it on the floor inside or a frame mounted bumper carrier....I saw a bumper/tire carrier that Darren at Autofab built that I think is about perfect...but of course don't have pics...

It mounted the tire facing the tailgate so it's harder to steal, 2 Kerry can mounts and a highlight mount. Similar to Ricks (Flyin Bronco) but with everything mounted facing in
Thanks ill try and find it and take a look..

Joe
TurboJoe

Post by TurboJoe »

ESHALLBETTER wrote:I believe if you go to Kellys build (Kel-Fab) he built some nice little tie-ins for his factory rack.
I just took a look and I think he did a great Job making the bed side mount usable again but nothing for the tail gate... I know the answear about hanging heavy bouncy things off of sheet metal But was hoping I was wrong ;)

Thanks,
Joe
TurboJoe

Post by TurboJoe »

economig wrote:For clarification, almost everyone who has offroaded a bronco fast has had this problem. My last one, the tailgate peeled down like a banana.

Put your tire in the back or support your tire carrier from a new spot on an after market bumper. I came up with a reinforcement plate for the tailgate but not the corner of the bedside.

I wouldn't advise hanging anything on the body panel sheet metal though. If you look through some of the threads, there's some really nice racks that go over a spare in the back and act as a tray or stand
I think your right... Ill try and figure out something that mounts to the frame and bumper that kinda hangs the tire in the same area as the stock carrier.

Joe
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

TurboJoe wrote:Hey everyone! I went to Barstow on saturday and had a great time. Im having trouble with my tail gate On my 96, Where the outer skin wraps around the inner tail gate it started to rip at the top passenger corner, I have a 33x12.50r15 BFG A/T on an Outlaw ll ( not very heavy but I guess heavy enough ) Has anyone else had this problem? And whats a good way to repair reinforce it? I would like to leave it outside but if this is normal Ill just have to move it inside...

Thanks,
Joe
Flip that part that mounts the tire on the rack which will give you better vision out the rear window and lower the tire. Build a rear bumper that supports the spare tire and adds preload so the load is taken off the body.

I am pretty confident I have more hard miles then most Bronco owners and have had 0 issues with the stock tire rack with a 35" tire.

http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... f=33&t=496
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
TurboJoe

Post by TurboJoe »

shockseals.com wrote:
TurboJoe wrote:Hey everyone! I went to Barstow on saturday and had a great time. Im having trouble with my tail gate On my 96, Where the outer skin wraps around the inner tail gate it started to rip at the top passenger corner, I have a 33x12.50r15 BFG A/T on an Outlaw ll ( not very heavy but I guess heavy enough ) Has anyone else had this problem? And whats a good way to repair reinforce it? I would like to leave it outside but if this is normal Ill just have to move it inside...

Thanks,
Joe
Flip that part that mounts the tire on the rack which will give you better vision out the rear window and lower the tire. Build a rear bumper that supports the spare tire and adds preload so the load is taken off the body.

I am pretty confident I have more hard miles then most Bronco owners and have had 0 issues with the stock tire rack with a 35" tire.

Thanks for the info/idea! Do you have any pictures of what you have made work?

Thanks,
Joe
only1mikey
Bronco Info: 84 Bronco

Post by only1mikey »

shockseals.com wrote:Flip that part that mounts the tire on the rack which will give you better vision out the rear window and lower the tire. Build a rear bumper that supports the spare tire and adds preload so the load is taken off the body.

I'm gunning for ya Kris in the dirt miles department.

I have also modified my stock tire carrier. Right now it has a 37" GSA on it, which weights over a hundred pounds and so far, with a few hundred off road miles on it, no issues.

It kinda spans a few pages on my build thread but take a look.

http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... 182#p52182

Mike
wayfastwhitie
Bronco Info: 1989 4in lift billie 5100

Post by wayfastwhitie »

I thought that it was just the skin on the tailgate when I had this issue also. One day I decided to take off the anti rattle stuff for the back window and weld the skin back up, well when I took of the rubber piece on the corner you coild see that there's a little bracket that was broke in half and the driver side was already cracking. Took the caps off both sidesand welded them and also welded the skin on the pass side down and its solid now. Also relplace your door striker bushings, $4 at a local parts store that will help a lot.
TurboJoe

Post by TurboJoe »

Thanks everybody! Kris I like the idea of flipping the bracket to lower the tire every little bit helps. And Mike thanks for the pictures Sometimes Im really smart and sometimes I have to see stuff and go "Oh Yeah..." This was an oh yeah moment ;) My stock tailgate may survive just yet.

Everyone on this site Rocks!!!
Joe
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Mikey and Kris did a great job. Ive been thinkin of that myself. These guys know how to do things simple and right!
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
TurboJoe

Post by TurboJoe »

wayfastwhitie wrote:I thought that it was just the skin on the tailgate when I had this issue also. One day I decided to take off the anti rattle stuff for the back window and weld the skin back up, well when I took of the rubber piece on the corner you coild see that there's a little bracket that was broke in half and the driver side was already cracking. Took the caps off both sidesand welded them and also welded the skin on the pass side down and its solid now. Also relplace your door striker bushings, $4 at a local parts store that will help a lot.

Ill have to take a look in there and see, I know I need to weld the skin But while im in there ill check it out...

Thanks,
Joe
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Sorry for the bad news, but all of us with significant off road miles have been thru the issue and solution.
There will be no success with a mount attached to the body/tailgate. With a custom mount that is attached to the frame in place of the bumper will also result in no success unless the top of the new mount is attached to a cage. Otherwise put the spare inside flat on the floor. Even the inside - side mount will rip out because it is just attached to thin sheet metal. The best inside setup is to remove the rear seat and strap the tire to the floor seat mounting bracket.
Try anything else and you will have no success and all that is accomplished is delay before the new method fails.
Lets see. I am on my 4th method and it still needs to be tweaked. The best is custom tied into the cage.

The Jeep guys have exactly the same issue and their solution is the same which is frame mount replacing the bumper and a link to the stock cage at the top of the tire rack.

And a redundant or cam lock is still required to keep the swing carrier from unwanted opening.
Paul
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Mine is currently fixed to the rear bumper. You have to unstap it which is a pain but there isnt a weak link as of yet.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
TurboJoe

Post by TurboJoe »

Thanks for all the replies! I think my best bet is to flat mount it on the rear floor area along with my floor jack tow strap and 10" subwoofer ( that I was looking to hide anyway ) and other loose stuff and build a shelf to cover everything, this way I can strap my cooler down on top and have a flat storage area again. Ill post pics when Im done with it so everone with this same problem can get an idea of what to do when your tail gate starts falling apart, And your hoping to keep stock bumpers for now...

Joe