Seats: What type?

Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

I figure this is a general topic, If not please move it.

Seats for rough terrain at recreational speeds and what to use: Suspension type or Ridged/Foam.

Having read the, all but, wars on this subject in race applications on the RDC I figure I'll post this here in a nice safe environment.
I'm in the market for several seats as I have to do something to save my back.
Hilariously enough the one seat that semi works is the clapped out OE Bench in my 75; and the seats in our Ranger are close, but NOT close enough. Both are foam over spring OE type.
Several years ago I bought a custom built Beard and there is my dilemma! When I made that choice there really was not the controversy, the Suspension type were "The" thing. Today...
I'm relatively certain that the Suspension Seat will keep me alive for 99% of the time.
I completely uncertain that the Ridged Seat design will allow me more then a few moments in relatively smooth surfaces.
So, considering the "Recreational" verses "Race" application: are the suspension design as evil as they are made out to be?
If one good hit can leave you in serious pain for days to weeks, what would you choose and why?

Dust
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Re: Seats: What type?

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Dust,

I only have experience with Beards and PRPs suspension seats. I most recently had Beards in the Bronco I sold and I totally loved them. They keep me in place and gave just enough on the hard hits to take some of the sting out that the suspension didn't. I loved my Beards so much that I bough 7 seats. 3 for my 86 Bronco and 4 for my four door Bronco.

I heard people love the Sparcos non suspension seats but I've never tried them. That's my $.02. Hope it helps.

Chris
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Chris (Dust) - I've sat in both. Well... kinda. I've been in darn near any of the suspension seats (Beard, PRP, Mastercraft, corbeau, hezco, etc.) and then briefly in what I seem to remember being a momo (may have been sparco) in a street car. The rigid seat was uncomfortable to me for a short ride in a street car! Granted it was set up stiff & cornering hard, but that is still no match to even a basic washboard road.

After that experience I personally can't understand how guys can say the momo or sparco seats are comfortable, BUT my experience was years ago and probably in a completely different model of seat than the off road guys use. I've never been in an off road car in one, and unless the opportunity arises to ride in someone elses - I won't risk buying them for me. Even if the "camburg god" :roll: says it must be so.

I love my mastercrafts. Other suspension type seats are cool as well, but my back side & back CAN feel the difference between a PRP & a mastercraft. Beard & mastercraft difference is a lesser difference, & much of the difference to me comes from the CRAP customer service at Beard.
I had Beard Ultra's in the Ranger and LOVED them. That was, until I sat in the mastercrafts. I never understood how someone would pay that much more (there's less of a price difference now though) for mastercrafts, until I sat in one.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Dust

Post by Dust »

BajaBronco13 wrote:Dust,

I only have experience with Beards and PRPs suspension seats. I most recently had Beards in the Bronco I sold and I totally loved them. They keep me in place and gave just enough on the hard hits to take some of the sting out that the suspension didn't. I loved my Beards so much that I bough 7 seats. 3 for my 86 Bronco and 4 for my four door Bronco.

I heard people love the Sparcos non suspension seats but I've never tried them. That's my $.02. Hope it helps.

Chris
One for suspension!
Thanks.

Dust
Dust

Post by Dust »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Chris (Dust) - I've sat in both. Well... kinda. I've been in darn near any of the suspension seats (Beard, PRP, Mastercraft, corbeau, hezco, etc.) and then briefly in what I seem to remember being a momo (may have been sparco) in a street car. The rigid seat was uncomfortable to me for a short ride in a street car! Granted it was set up stiff & cornering hard, but that is still no match to even a basic washboard road.

After that experience I personally can't understand how guys can say the momo or sparco seats are comfortable, BUT my experience was years ago and probably in a completely different model of seat than the off road guys use. I've never been in an off road car in one, and unless the opportunity arises to ride in someone elses - I won't risk buying them for me. Even if the "camburg god" :roll: says it must be so.

I love my mastercrafts. Other suspension type seats are cool as well, but my back side & back CAN feel the difference between a PRP & a mastercraft. Beard & mastercraft difference is a lesser difference, & much of the difference to me comes from the CRAP customer service at Beard.
I had Beard Ultra's in the Ranger and LOVED them. That was, until I sat in the mastercrafts. I never understood how someone would pay that much more (there's less of a price difference now though) for mastercrafts, until I sat in one.
Thanks that helps some more!
Dust, aka: another Chris
gunit

Post by gunit »

I have used or ridden in most of the popular suspension race seats but I have not ridden in Sparcos.
Currently, I have Beard Ultra Pro seats in the prerunner and Mastercraft 3G seats in the race truck.
Without a doubt the 3G is the best seat I have been in. The Beard Ultra pro seats are very good but at the end of the day you can tell the difference.
The various "standard' race type suspension seats of any brand do not support you nearly as well as the Ultra or 3G style seats and I reccomend paying the extra money.
Dust

Post by Dust »

gunit wrote:I have used or ridden in most of the popular suspension race seats but I have not ridden in Sparcos.
Currently, I have Beard Ultra Pro seats in the prerunner and Mastercraft 3G seats in the race truck.
Without a doubt the 3G is the best seat I have been in. The Beard Ultra pro seats are very good but at the end of the day you can tell the difference.
The various "standard' race type suspension seats of any brand do not support you nearly as well as the Ultra or 3G style seats and I reccomend paying the extra money.
Thanks.
The Beard I have is a custom Ultra mainly because I am way to tall and a tick wider at the hips then the typical child sized seat that is "normal" or off the shelf.
Money is not even close to an issue when the alternative is being confined to new pavement and even then for not that long.
We are looking at new cars and the sales people get all funny when you say, well I guess I can rip out the seats, rebuild the foot box and replace the electronics in the dash to get what I want; then watch em when you turn to them as ask, "Would that void the warranty?
Dust
gunit

Post by gunit »

All of my seats are 2+2's. 2" wider and 2" taller than standard. I assumed that you would be ordering a seat that fit you.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I had sparco knockoffs in my bronco and they sucked in the dirt. I now have used prps and would never go back. Granted i need to extend the backs and add some foam to the back theyre a perfect seat. Its worth the extra money for quality suspension seats.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Post by Andy Jones »

Mastercraft..
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I had sparco knockoffs in my bronco and they sucked in the dirt. I now have used prps and would never go back. Granted i need to extend the backs and add some foam to the back theyre a perfect seat. Its worth the extra money for quality suspension seats.
real sparcos are by far my fav.. Knockoffs suck. Its like comparing a mastercfaft 3g to a race trim... Mastercraft and twisted stitch make nice seats. depends on your body type alot too.. I had an issue in my race truck with supension seats and i will never use them in a race car agian. Its a personal choice.
Dust

Post by Dust »

mkiefer wrote:
hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I had sparco knockoffs in my bronco and they sucked in the dirt. I now have used prps and would never go back. Granted i need to extend the backs and add some foam to the back theyre a perfect seat. Its worth the extra money for quality suspension seats.
real sparcos are by far my fav.. Knockoffs suck. Its like comparing a mastercfaft 3g to a race trim... Mastercraft and twisted stitch make nice seats. depends on your body type alot too.. I had an issue in my race truck with supension seats and i will never use them in a race car agian. Its a personal choice.
Question:
Would you have had that same/similar issue in a recreational truck?

Dust
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

probally not. it was a hard hit. and my back hurt.. alot. but aside from a hard crash i think you would be ok. most higher end seats are nice. sit in alot of them and then decide what works best for you
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

FWIW...in a recreational rig I think the suspension seats are the way to go. I have beards in the bronco and we have beards in the 9 car. In the ultra 4 we have prp. As mark said its personal choice in the end, I personally want to sit in a quality rigid seat like the sparcos i the dirt but have not yet had the opportunity. Recreation or race I have yet to have a problem with suspension seats. I know that the debate rages on but IMO I think from a safety stand point much has to do with harness position and seat positioning. With suspension seats you do need to mount them properly.
One thing i notice when I am in the ultra 4 car with prps is that we have the extra pads and I know mastercraft also has them for better support of the lower back and it is very noticeable difference. I plan on changing to the mastercraft 3Gs at some point in the bronco.
Bet thing you can do is sit in alot of them and if possible try to ride in the seat you want in someone elses car. Safety wise I do not feel you are jeopardizing yourself especially in a recreation situation just make sure your seats and harnesses are correctly mounted. If you have a specific back issue talk with your Dr or chiropractor as they may have an opinion as well.
Jeremy
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I have PRP Pro Comps in the Bronco and they make me sore after 4 hours or so. They work good for my trucks use though.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
XRMikey
Bronco Info: 1996 "White" Bronco- Ex Chase support/ Quick Chase for Enduro Racing

Post by XRMikey »

+1 above from polarcub.
I have the Mastercraft Pro Seats in my bronco. Bought around 10 years ago.
I bought the proseats(pro4?) in the +2 configuration & removable seat cushions.
I like the option of being able to tune the seat cushions as needed.
As for ride, they fit me the best. Also the most comfortable seat to be in for hours at a time.
The new 3G seats are fantastic but not the best choice if you enter & exit the truck a lot.
If you need a more user friendly seat the Rubicon is a good choice without loosing any of the performance capabilities.
When we were testing Jasons TT he had Sparco seats in the truck.
I wasn't to thrilled with the seats. They were comfortable in light of the fact he had gobs of wheel travel when it was all working within it's limits.
But... We hit a large kicker after a whooped out rhythm section and that hurt, a lot. I wanted out of the truck right then.
When you use up all your travel including the bump stops all that is left is your seat to save your back.
They made suspension seats for this reason. They work & they are worth it.
Anything is comfortable on the street. It's when your out bouncing around in the dirt when bad seat choices ruin your day.
If your young, fit, & strong a Milk crate is comfortable, If your not, do what ever you can to help your body survive the rough roads.
I crushed my L1 dismounting my XR at 70mph. I know about bad backs. I have never got out of my Bronco sore.
I do love my mastercraft seats.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

I have Beards and they are many years old. The removable cushion is now very hard. I will call on Monday and see if I can get the latest new foam for them. Time to study up.
You guys are lucky to be able to try out different seats. I live in the boondocks and have to trust the testimonials for most things. I did get a ride in a 4 seater with the racing Mastercrafts and yes they were much better than my old Beards. I suppose time in use makes a big difference and I have many more miles than any race truck.
PW
Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

Dust, I run Mastercraft seats in my truck. Mastercraft has been building the best quality offroad seats since the begining of time. With that being said look no farther than the top of this page and see GFB has the support of Mastercraft as a sponser. My mom (RIP) always said " You dance with the one that brung ya" Thank you Mastercraft for your support, I'm a loyal customer to you.

I look forward to your new Mastercaft seats.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Quailhunter wrote: My mom (RIP) always said " You dance with the one that brung ya" Thank you Mastercraft for your support, I'm a loyal customer to you.

NICE!! And, well said. This site brings us more than good info. It brings us good friends and good trips. Lets support those who support the site.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Silverslk wrote:
Quailhunter wrote: My mom (RIP) always said " You dance with the one that brung ya" Thank you Mastercraft for your support, I'm a loyal customer to you.

NICE!! And, well said. This site brings us more than good info. It brings us good friends and good trips. Lets support those who support the site.

Agreed, Mastercuts for me!!!