Cats- CARB SMOG IRGHHHH-Catalytic converter help

tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Cats- CARB SMOG IRGHHHH-Catalytic converter help

Post by tcm glx »

How many cats does a 93 Ford Bronco have from the factory? Mine only has one, and I am curious if I am supposed to have two, possibly causing me to not pass say.... smog?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Cats- CARB SMOG IRGHHHH

Post by SteveG »

Two. There used to be a single aftermarket converter that could be installed in place of the two factory units. Regulations on catalytic converters changed a year or two ago and made the single aftermarket converters no longer legal for sale or use in CA.

If your truck already has a single converter and it's still functioning, AND it has numbers stamped into it that prove it was approved for use in CA then the truck should pass just fine. If it doesn't have numbers and you have a receipt showing what part number it was you might be able to get it passed.

I recently had to replace my aftermarket single converter with the O.E.-style two-converter set-up. I was pissed. Catalytic converters aren't cheap to begin with. Add rebuilding your Y-pipe to accommodate the dual in single out O.E.-style converter and you're up to about 5 bills. I would look into an aftermarket Y-pipe with converters.

Title edited and thread moved to "General Tech".
Sho nuff,
SteveG
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

SteveG wrote:Two. There used to be a single aftermarket converter that could be installed in place of the two factory units. Regulations on catalytic converters changed a year or two ago and made the single aftermarket converters no longer legal for sale or use in CA.

If your truck already has a single converter and it's still functioning, AND it has numbers stamped into it that prove it was approved for use in CA then the truck should pass just fine. If it doesn't have numbers and you have a receipt showing what part number it was you might be able to get it passed.

I recently had to replace my aftermarket single converter with the O.E.-style two-converter set-up. I was pissed. Catalytic converters aren't cheap to begin with. Add rebuilding your Y-pipe to accommodate the dual in single out O.E.-style converter and you're up to about 5 bills. I would look into an aftermarket Y-pipe with converters.

Title edited and thread moved to "General Tech".

Thanks Steve.
I just failed smog today, here is the deal:
too many HC Max allowed at 15mph is 79 and I have 91. at 25MPH i measured 83 HC with a max allowed of 62.

CO% and NO was within spec. I was told that hi 02% could mean the cat is out. I measured .17 at 15 MPH and .36 at 35 MPH

Thoughts?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

tcm glx wrote:Thoughts?
You need to have a GOOD diagnostic tech/smog guy look at it. There are lots of possibilities and me giving you a list of maybe's isn't going to help you. I'd love to give you a magic answer, but I just don't have one.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Re: Cats- CARB SMOG IRGHHHH-Catalytic converter help

Post by tcm glx »

So I talked to a few folks, and all recomended a good tune up. Apparently I made some big mistakes. The Bronco has been virtually sitting for the last month, and today was the first day I drove it around, then on top of that, I sat and idled with the A/C on in front of the Smog shop waiting for my turn for about 45 minutes, which apparently will load up a cat. I was recomended to do the following: Cap, Rotor, Wires, Plugs and Oil change to start. The Smog guy said he would give me another pre test run before doing a actual test. So I am ordering these wires:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-12259-C301/

Cap and Rotor I am torn between these two:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8482/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FMS-M-12106-B302/

And then plugs should be just run of the mill Autolite Coppers right?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FRM-25/

Thoughts....... .
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Definitely don't go into the smog check cold (ie: don't start the truck up, drive 2 minutes to get there and throw it on the analizer), but don't let it sit and idle like you did either.

Get the thing nice and warm (20 minute drive works) and go test it.

All this is after you do the stuff you talk about above.

As for the cats - if you need them I've got 2 stock ones sitting here, and both have good internals.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

While your changing the cap and rotor check the dizzy shaft for play. Old gas is a no no for smog too. Put fresh 91 in it from a reputable gas station for the test.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Awesome guys.

Steve, thanks for tghe offer on the cats, will definitely hit you up if all of the above does not work

Philo, 91 it will be! Stay tuned......
johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Post by johncharlesb »

Just thinking out loud here, but doesn't 87 burn faster and more complete than 91 and the lowest octane before detonation provide the best power and most efficient combustion cycle? I have never done the Pepsi challenge on a emissions test though. This assumes a relatively stock low compression retarded timing curve bronco motor.

I like the brass contacts over aluminum on the MSD vs Ford cap, although, I usually prefer Motorcraft replacement parts because of the tight tolerances and durability.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

johncharlesb wrote:Just thinking out loud here, but doesn't 87 burn faster and more complete than 91 and the lowest octane before detonation provide the best power and most efficient combustion cycle? I have never done the Pepsi challenge on a emissions test though. This assumes a relatively stock low compression retarded timing curve bronco motor.

I like the brass contacts over aluminum on the MSD vs Ford cap, although, I usually prefer Motorcraft replacement parts because of the tight tolerances and durability.
It more because 91 is usually a higher quality fuel with less additives than the actual octane. The ECM should advance the timing until detonation occurs anyway.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Deleted Account
Bronco Info: depends on what day

Post by Deleted Account »

Tony. your ride has the factory ford front cat only. someone just removed the second one to make it shorter. i think the first one is just a precat. sooooo good luck with out adding a second. Steve may have more to add to this.
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Tony, I have a single unit as well and I had it added (legally) when I went to a dual exhaust set up. The tune up is a goo dplace to start but out of curiousity do you have the last smog results? I ask as it may give you an idea on how your truck ran last time it passed. I know when I went to the new cats (Mine were plugging) it made a big difference with headers,plugs etc I came out well under all the points. Also you can give your cats a cold/hot check as well. When they are cold take a fist and pound on them a bit listen for rattleing. If the beads are ratteling around its an indication of the cat needing replacement, the other is to drive the beast around for a good 30-40 min running down the freeway and back to the house should be good and then look under the truck to see if the cats are starting to turn red...this is an extreme indication but if it is they are definately plugged.
One other note if you want to get a good exhaust guy give Matt or Gary call. We have a guy that my dad has used for many years that treats us real good and will make sure your legal as well.
On one other note if Mark is correct and you only have one of the stock cats vice the 2 it is likely that is the first cat is not doing a good enough job for emissions. The factory ford units were designed as I understand it to work together allegedly causing greater longevity and cleaner exhaust. You may get lucky though and get by on the smog with just the tune up though but it may be time to think about the cats before the next one. If you call gary or Matt on the exhaust shop just ask my dad who did the exhaust on my bronco. Good luck
Jeremy
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Thanks Jeremy.
I do have the original results from the previous test two years ago, and they are close, but not identical. I talked to Mark this morning, and the first cat is a precat, and then there is supposed to be one where the stock skid plate is, and that is not the case.

I honestly think I just created a perfect storm. I have not given it a tune up in the last 9-12 months, it sat for about a month while doing the fiberglass, and on top of that, I sat there and let it idle, which is a no no.

Gameplan is a real good tune up, plugs, wires, cap and rotor as well as oil change. I am also going to go back and add a second cat, the one that Steve has listed above. I am hoping that will get me through the finish line this year. Then, I am immediately changing the address on the registration to my in laws house out in the Ocotillo area, which I believe is the only place in California where they only require smog at time of purchase and sale. I am not interested in dealing with this BS anymore... haha.
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

tcm glx wrote:Thanks Jeremy.
I do have the original results from the previous test two years ago, and they are close, but not identical. I talked to Mark this morning, and the first cat is a precat, and then there is supposed to be one where the stock skid plate is, and that is not the case.

I honestly think I just created a perfect storm. I have not given it a tune up in the last 9-12 months, it sat for about a month while doing the fiberglass, and on top of that, I sat there and let it idle, which is a no no.

Gameplan is a real good tune up, plugs, wires, cap and rotor as well as oil change. I am also going to go back and add a second cat, the one that Steve has listed above. I am hoping that will get me through the finish line this year. Then, I am immediately changing the address on the registration to my in laws house out in the Ocotillo area, which I believe is the only place in California where they only require smog at time of purchase and sale. I am not interested in dealing with this BS anymore... haha.
I dont blame you on not wanting to deal with it....sounds like you will be able to get by FWIW I have yet to have a smog guy look at my cats that was once thing I was concerned with when I went to the single unit. Hope it all works out
Jeremy
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Polarcub wrote:FWIW I have yet to have a smog guy look at my cats that was once thing I was concerned with when I went to the single unit. Hope it all works out
Unfortunately that's all luck of the draw and depends on what shop you go to. I'd just rather avoid any chance of jumping through the governmental hoop BS and run pre smog vehicles :D
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
billy1911

Post by billy1911 »

This is what Im running on my 91 (click link). I only have one cat. I put it on 2 years ago for SMOG, Smog guy said it blew super clean. I have to go to smog this year.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-53006/
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Second cat did the trick!! Thanks Steve!!
Polarcub

Post by Polarcub »

Glad to hear it Tony
Jeremy
AirBender
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco XL

Post by AirBender »

that's a cheap part for cars.well.. the smog guy i ask for help..he also recommended that.. MUCC (magnaFlow universal catalytic converters)
Last edited by AirBender on Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
monkei
Bronco Info: 92' 6" lift -> hoping to convert to Bspeed-ish suspension

Post by monkei »

In case anyone's wondering, here's what da' law says in CA:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktca ... tcat09.pdf
"New Label Requirements
The label on the catalytic converter shell must be ½ inch high and large enough to be read from a distance of 5 feet from either side of the vehicle. The label must show the EO, specific part number (universal or direct-fit) for the vehicle, and date of production (month and year). In assigning specific part numbers, manufacturers have taken into consideration each vehicles exhaust configuration, including the location of the oxygen sensors, pipe size, etc. Therefore, no modifications should be required to fit a catalytic converter on a vehicle other than weld it in, where necessary.

What is Legal for Sale by January 1, 2009?
Only aftermarket catalytic converters that meet the new regulations can be sold and installed on appropriate vehicles in California. Previously exempted OBD II catalytic converters not sold and installed by the above date must be returned to manufacturers for compliant label and warranty card.
List Updated:"

http://www.car-sound.com/04basics/04california.asp
"General Guidelines:

CALIFORNIA VEHICLE APPLICATION CATALOG INSTRUCTIONS - For California Application look-up it will no longer be based upon G.V.W. (Gross Vehicle Weight) and engine size. Catalytic Converter Application look-up for California ONLY is the only approved method for determining the correct part number. It is illegal in California to select a catalytic converter for installation based solely on vehicle weight, engine size, physical shape, size, configuration or pipe diameter."

Use this link to look up CA legal / Bronco / Engine specific replacement Magnaflow converters for your exact truck: http://www.car-sound.com/02product/02california.asp

I ended up buying the 33007 front and 34016 rear for my 92. (the same for several other years, both 5.0/5.8). They can be had on ebay for reasonably cheap (33007 up now for $88 OBO, and 34016 $82 OBO)