Differentials...

CBDuner
Bronco Info: Wishing I had one!

Differentials...

Post by CBDuner »

So my rear end is kind of toast, see this thread: http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... 507#p18507

So I'm putting in gears earlier than I had planned and I need to decide what kind of differential to use. Basically I just wanna see what most guys here are running, have run and their experiences with them. This is more of a desert guy's site, but there are a lot of guys here who also drive mostly on the street and spend time in the dunes. I'm about 80% street, 20% sand. Other offroad as well, mostly gravel/dirt trails, snow and the occasional mud pit.

I'd love to run and ARB, but don't have the money. A detroit would be great offroad, but I don't know about my DD, do I really need it, and money again. I've run an Aussie locker before in my front end, and it worked great. But I had my hubs unlocked most of the time on the street, and that was on my SAS Explorer, more of a pure mud, rocks and tight trail rig.

I've had just factory LS in my past Ford trucks, and they seam to work alright, but weak. Don't think it would be worth spending the money to rebuild the factory trac-loc. Would a limited slip be my best bet? What brand, Auburn?

Then there's the True Trac. I have no personal experience, but the guys I do know who ran them, hated them. But I believe they were expecting them to act like a locker, which they don't. So what are your guys' thoughts on the Tru Trac? Would it work good in the sand, I'm worried about it constantly switching power back and forth to each wheel too much in the sand.

Sorry for the book, just thinking aloud here. Wasn't going to make this decision for at least a few months, but now I kind of have to make up my mind soon. So just give me your thoughts and suggestions. Appreciate it! :D
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Differentials...

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
CBDuner

Post by CBDuner »

Thanks for the link. Looks like most here like spools or Detroits. After a evening of reading and reading and more reading, I'm going back and forth between the Detroits. Locker or True Trac. I just worry about the street manners of the locker, especially since it's wet here 75% of the time. But I would hate to get the True Trac and be unhappy with it offroad.
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

I have not read much about a Trutrac on the rear. The trutrac was originally designed for Jeeps which do not have manual hubs. Its a good limited slip Lots of us have it in the front of our TTB Broncos and it works as advertized and pulls with both wheels in sand and rocks. No complaints. Several Jeep guys I bum around with tried Trutrac and when they moved to serious rock crawling they found Trutrac to be inadequate and went to ARB or Detroit and now I see them trailering all the time so they may have rear spools?. My wifes Jeep is a Rubicon with air lockers on both axles and it is a good all aroung rig.

Sounds like you want a dual purpose rig. If so just come up with the $$ to get a selectable locker. like ARB or several electric lockers. There is even a mechanical cable operated locker, but it has a questionable history. ARBs are bullet proof, but I don't know about the electric ones. My '72 trail Bronco has ARBs on both axles.
Selectable is a hit and miss depending on your choice of rear axle. Example; When my 9" 40 spline was built the only thing available was spool of Detroit and I chose a spool. Its the pits on the street.
PaulW
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

I have a relative in Coquille with an early Bronco and lockers front and rear. It's useless as he can't even drive it when it's wet up there, it just wants to go sideways. You really have to look at what your doing, and you're right, the ARB is the best for both situations. Be aware that things can and do go wrong with them, torn lines, broken compressors, etc. My work vehicles are in the snow and ice a lot, and I actually prefer open diffs, I like the predictability of the truck going the direction I point it. That wheel that's not spinning because it has traction is maintaining the position on the hill. When I need more, I add chains or just switch to a snow machine. The desert is a totally different animal, and a spool rules there.
CBDuner

Post by CBDuner »

Yes selectables are probably the way to go. As for ARB's, I've got 2 buddies who run ARB's in their TJ's. I think there's only been a couple wheeling trips where the worked WITHOUT problems. Not the lockers themselves, but air lines, fittings, electrical and the compressors. I know they are a great locker, but it just seems they have lots of stuff that can go wrong. Plus the money.

I was planning on running a True Trac in the front for sure. I've read a lot that True Tracs front and rear work great, and others say True Tracs just suck period.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

I totally agree. Any trail rig must have selectable lockers or open diffs. Even careful driving cannot overcome sideslip with a locked setup.
Yes wires and air lines are subject to damage from improper installs and unforseen obstacles. Air hardlines with SS hose usually overcomes most of these issues. Compressors with no air tank can defeat an air locker. Its all about thinking out the install and providing for failures with a backup. I have experience with 3 rigs with air lockers and have never had wire or air line failures. 3 years of hard core driving with the Jeep and 4 years with the ARB on the desert prerunner. The 72 Bronco is still in the shop, but I think it would take a strange hit to kill the ARB hardlines.
PaulW
=========
300 wrote:I have a relative in Coquille with an early Bronco and lockers front and rear. It's useless as he can't even drive it when it's wet up there, it just wants to go sideways. You really have to look at what your doing, and you're right, the ARB is the best for both situations. Be aware that things can and do go wrong with them, torn lines, broken compressors, etc. My work vehicles are in the snow and ice a lot, and I actually prefer open diffs, I like the predictability of the truck going the direction I point it. That wheel that's not spinning because it has traction is maintaining the position on the hill. When I need more, I add chains or just switch to a snow machine. The desert is a totally different animal, and a spool rules there.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

CBDuner wrote:Yes selectables are probably the way to go. I was planning on running a True Trac in the front for sure. I've read a lot that True Tracs front and rear work great, and others say True Tracs just suck period.
==========
Tecnique is required to get a trutrac to lock under certain conditions. Using the brake is the fix. As I mentioned, it is a limited slip so it will not work like a spool or a real locker. The jeep guys that do serious rocks have given up on Trutrac. Having said that these guys are doing hard core rocks. If you are going to have a wheel in the air then you need a locker.
Having said all this are you really going rock crawling with a full size Bronco? It not the greatest choice for that purpose.
A Trutrac should be fine for sand, trail, and street. And don't try to go where the locker/spool guys go.
PaulW
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

If you aren't concerned about street manners and want good offroad performance for cheap go detroit or spool.
Trutracs are the best limited slip going as gear driven rather than clutch driven and will have no issues on asphalt. Problem is in rocks if wheel is lifted, other gets power unless riding the brake hard to transfer power back to wheel with traction. Tru tracs kick ass in sand, mud and dirt though!!
Tru tracs and lockers suck on icy hwys and if that's an issue save your money for a selectable locker. Spend the money on HD airline for the ARB and it will give you years of good service.
Ole Yeller-89 Bronco Prerunner/77 Bronco rock rig/79 F100 prerunner yard art
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Just my 2 cents I think that you would be happy with the True trac, as already stated it has its limitations but you can get them to work quite well. If your planning on crawling with the ride then I would save the coin for a selectable in your case. I run a detroit in the rear with a power lock up front. While I dont mind the detroit it does have its quirks shall we say. I have no issues when its wet out but I have not had the opprtunity to use it much in the snow or ice the few times I have it was not a problem but we dont see the amounts you do.
Jeremy
David Kennedy

Post by David Kennedy »

The Truetrac works great in the sand. The only place I've found them to be less than adequate is when you are crawling around, and lift a tire. They work great in the rear axle, and are quite strong. If you buy an F-450 or F-550 with a limited-slip in the rear--it's a Trutrac.
CBDuner

Post by CBDuner »

Polarcub wrote:Just my 2 cents I think that you would be happy with the True trac, as already stated it has its limitations but you can get them to work quite well. If your planning on crawling with the ride then I would save the coin for a selectable in your case. I run a detroit in the rear with a power lock up front. While I dont mind the detroit it does have its quirks shall we say. I have no issues when its wet out but I have not had the opprtunity to use it much in the snow or ice the few times I have it was not a problem but we dont see the amounts you do.
Well I took your $.02! 8-) Ordered a True Trac, 4.56's, and master install kits today. I think True Tracs front and rear will be a good all around setup for me. I think the detroit would be to harsh on the street and if I put out the money for a selectable, I would only engage it when I had to. $800+ for a locker I would only use sometimes I just don't think is worth it. I'd rather spend the money on beams, shocks, tires, etc... Thanks for all the input!
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

CBDuner wrote:
Polarcub wrote:Just my 2 cents I think that you would be happy with the True trac, as already stated it has its limitations but you can get them to work quite well. If your planning on crawling with the ride then I would save the coin for a selectable in your case. I run a detroit in the rear with a power lock up front. While I dont mind the detroit it does have its quirks shall we say. I have no issues when its wet out but I have not had the opprtunity to use it much in the snow or ice the few times I have it was not a problem but we dont see the amounts you do.
Well I took your $.02! 8-) Ordered a True Trac, 4.56's, and master install kits today. I think True Tracs front and rear will be a good all around setup for me. I think the detroit would be to harsh on the street and if I put out the money for a selectable, I would only engage it when I had to. $800+ for a locker I would only use sometimes I just don't think is worth it. I'd rather spend the money on beams, shocks, tires, etc... Thanks for all the input!
IMO I think you made a good choice for your needs..let us know how it all turns out its good info for others.
Jeremy
CBDuner

Post by CBDuner »

Will do. Should do good burn outs with the current 29" tires! :D
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

CBDuner wrote:Ordered a True Trac, 4.56's, and master install kits today. I think True Tracs front and rear will be a good all around setup for me. I think the detroit would be to harsh on the street and if I put out the money for a selectable, I would only engage it when I had to. $800+ for a locker I would only use sometimes I just don't think is worth it. I'd rather spend the money on beams, shocks, tires, etc... Thanks for all the input!
I have true tracs front and back w/ 4.56s and I've been out playing a few times with them and eveything worked fine. Granted, I don't have the most experience, but I think it'll work well for you too.
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.