Grade 8 Bolts Where is the cheapest place to Buy?

Dezertbronco
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB

Grade 8 Bolts Where is the cheapest place to Buy?

Post by Dezertbronco »

I have always bought from king bolt and I sent them my list of needs and I almost had a Heart attack when I saw the Quote.

I know that Lowes and Home depo also sell them. anyone got any ideas Before I buy.

By the way its just bolts for the rancho kit, nothing big.

Thanks
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
shockseals.com

Re: Grade 8 Bolts Where is the cheapest place to Buy?

Post by shockseals.com »

Lowes carries LE hardware but it has a different headstamp than the LE I buy from Specialty Fasteners. I havent had issues with either. Good hardware isnt cheap...cheap hardware isnt good.

Make sure you are ordering by shoulder length, not OA length so you can cut everything to size.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I've started getting my stuff through Fastenal recently and have been happy so far.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Dezertbronco

Post by Dezertbronco »

I have bought From fastenall before, I wont skimp but dont want to get robbed either.
KBL
Bronco Info: Working on a '73 F-100 with a TTB conversion

Post by KBL »

Ace Hardware stores seem to have a good selection of Grade 8--as well as other fasteners. Battel's Hardware (an Ace store) in Whittier is one such place.

Prices are reasonable--I don't price shop Battel's too much on fasteners because that store is local and family-owned, so I want to support it.
www.off-roadweb.com
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

My local Ace charges twice what Fastenall charges. I got lucky, I found a guy at a swap meet with bags of 1/2 G8 fasteners that he for like $3-$5 a bag. Most bags had 25 bolts in them!!! Bought them all.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
sydude
Bronco Info: 1992 Restored Bronco w/Built 302x, All Glass, Full Cage, Bilstein 9100's & Deavers

Post by sydude »

Best place for fasteners is McMaster-Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com
78Class3

Post by 78Class3 »

Philo, you mentioned shoulder vs overall length. How important is that in most applications? When I go to Lowes or Ace around here they only have one shoulder length in each size bolt and I'm kinda stuck with it. What are the downsides. I would really hate to have to wait 3 days for bolts to be shipped to me from some of the above placess, plus the shipping cost. Thanks
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

78Class3 wrote:Philo, you mentioned shoulder vs overall length. How important is that in most applications? When I go to Lowes or Ace around here they only have one shoulder length in each size bolt and I'm kinda stuck with it. What are the downsides. I would really hate to have to wait 3 days for bolts to be shipped to me from some of the above placess, plus the shipping cost. Thanks
That was Kritter in this thread...

A bolt is about twice as strong in shear on the shoulder vs the threads, plus the shoulder is actual size and the threads are slightly smaller in OD.

It's important to me, and a lot of other people that don't want to be stranded due to a broken bolt or possibly risk a wreck. I don't know how else to explain it.
Dezertbronco

Post by Dezertbronco »

im just going to go to Fastenal and buy them, I was going to order from mc master but I dont want to stare at a computer screen.
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

I agree with Fastenall, I get all my bolts from them. They have F911 as well.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

sydude wrote:Best place for fasteners is McMaster-Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com
Fastenal is cheaper for me and I can drive over there and pick stuff up. Yes McMastercarr has a great selection and will get stuff here FAST (if I order by noon it's here the next morning), but I'm not fond of their shipping charges.

Travisfab wrote:I agree with Fastenall, I get all my bolts from them. They have F911 as well.
Do they? I for some reason thought they only had their "house brand" grade 9's. Either way - I buy those...
78Class3

Post by 78Class3 »

"It's important to me, and a lot of other people that don't want to be stranded due to a broken bolt or possibly risk a wreck. I don't know how else to explain it."

Well put. thanks
Dezertbronco

Post by Dezertbronco »

So I call Tenneco AKA Rancho and the guy tells me " its just a grade 5 bolt go to the hardware store" um I think not. I went to lowes and got some Grade 8 Bolts. Im good to go.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Dezertbronco wrote:So I call Tenneco AKA Rancho and the guy tells me " its just a grade 5 bolt go to the hardware store" um I think not. I went to lowes and got some Grade 8 Bolts. Im good to go.
Grade 5 bolts are actually strong enough for most applications. Everyone uses grade 8 for an extra margin of safety.

Bolt torque, correct washers, and shank length are more important than the bolt grade.
Dezertbronco

Post by Dezertbronco »

Philo I agree, but better than to be safe than sorry. Gust sent my Torque wrench in to get re calibrated.
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

We just got a bad batch of LE 1/2" grade 8 bolts from Ababa. Torque them to spec, then try the torque wrench again and the nut turns another 1/4 turn before the torque wrench clicks. Tried a couple different torque wrenchs. Keep doing this and the nut never really stops moving, eventually the bolt threads strip out. Had to replace all the new bolts we just bought. We size them by the shank length so the shear points are on the shank not the threads. Home Depot had what we needed but now I have to re-cut all the bolts to length and sand the ends. I wonder if Ababa got a batch of counterfit LE bolts from China? Seems like the heat treat was wrong or missing. Now I'm very reluctant to buy LE bolts.
sydude
Bronco Info: 1992 Restored Bronco w/Built 302x, All Glass, Full Cage, Bilstein 9100's & Deavers

Post by sydude »

baja-chris wrote:We just got a bad batch of LE 1/2" grade 8 bolts from Ababa. Torque them to spec, then try the torque wrench again and the nut turns another 1/4 turn before the torque wrench clicks. Tried a couple different torque w
Chris, what are LE bolts?
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

baja-chris wrote:We just got a bad batch of LE 1/2" grade 8 bolts from Ababa. Torque them to spec, then try the torque wrench again and the nut turns another 1/4 turn before the torque wrench clicks. Tried a couple different torque wrenchs. Keep doing this and the nut never really stops moving, eventually the bolt threads strip out. Had to replace all the new bolts we just bought. We size them by the shank length so the shear points are on the shank not the threads. Home Depot had what we needed but now I have to re-cut all the bolts to length and sand the ends. I wonder if Ababa got a batch of counterfit LE bolts from China? Seems like the heat treat was wrong or missing. Now I'm very reluctant to buy LE bolts.
I had this same thing happen when I built my bronco. LE fasteners were from Spercialty Fastener. You can tell the China LE from the USA LE by the head stamp. I had good ol usa G8 LE bolts. It FUCKING sucked air air chiseling the heads off the stripped ones since they are so dam hard. We too thought it was torque wrench error. I think the stovers had more to do with it but as destroyed as each one we stripped out were it was hard to tell. I also do not think stovers are classified as grade number but rather letter...Grade C.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Yes the nuts are letter grade classified. Class C = grade 8