Setting Ride Height w/ Coilovers

nubreed71
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Post by nubreed71 »

I'm curious how everyone else is doing this. Seems like there's a couple different ways:

1. Crank the preload until you get your ride height where you want it, and then set the crossovers so that your slider hits it before the upper coil goes into bind.

or

2. No preload on the coils, and you set the ride height by moving the crossovers down the threads on the coilover to yield the desired ride height.

To me it seems like method #2 means you're not really enjoying the plush ride of the dual rate springs. Thoughts?
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Re: Setting Ride Height w/ Coilovers

Post by PaulW »

Try it both ways and see what you like.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

You can set your crossover to where you want the stiffer spring rate to start. Doesn't have to be before coil bind. Test it to find what you like.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

Well it does have to be before coil bind but I mean it doesn't have to be right before the coil binds.
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Careful with #2, tha'ts a good way to coil bind the bottom coil.

I tend to like to get the spring rate so that I have very little if any preload at ride height. Then set the secondary stops so that they kick in at about 50% of your available up-travel.
nubreed71
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Post by nubreed71 »

My feeling with method 2 is that it's a better method for an A-arm truck with a small/light tender spring than a beam truck with an upper spring that's close to the same length as the lower spring. Also, it seems like with method 2 you're not really taking advantage of the dual rate and just riding on the lower spring with the heavier rate.

Gonna get out in the garage this weekend and mess around with it a little bit. I suspect that I won't need a whole lot of preload anyhow since my front ride height is a good bit lower to match the lower rear ride height from the 64" springs.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I just adjust preload to the ride hieght I wanted then set the crossover 1.5" above ride hieght.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk