Muffler wars

Broncotough
Bronco Info: 1990 302 aod. Leveled lift, re gasket engine, resto-mod

Muffler wars

Post by Broncotough »

I have a 1990 302 bronco with a LMC truck exhaust kit. It sounds alright but i want better sound, something that roars when im goin fast and turns heads. Ive been leaning towards a flowmaster but stuck on which one. Super 40? 44? delta flow? Im tossing the idea around of summit rcing shorty headers. expanding from 2.50" tubing to 3''. still keeping dual exhaust. anyone have a flowmaster? your advice is greatly appreciated!!
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Re: Muffler wars

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I am not a big fan of the Floater because after a couple year's they fell apart.

I went to a Spin Tech and has been good for 15 years. On my new exhaust I have a Morosoe Spiral flow muffler. It is similar to a Cherry Bomb but has a spiral chamber for excellent flow and a beefy sound.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-9 ... AlQm8P8HAQ
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1418375757967.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1418375757967.jpg (14.32 KiB) Viewed 1158 times
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

I had a Hooker Aero Chamber with 3" magnaflow stainless tailpipe...literally cracked the front and rear of the muffler completely in about a yr and a half. With 3 small desert day trips...since i
I'm still running the stock y-pipe with 2 cats, I had the exhaust shop bend up a short tube to go out the side of the truck w/o a muffler...I haven't noticed any drone...it isn't that loud when cruising but sounds beefy and roars when I get on it
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Stupid auto-correct on the phone Flow master not floater!

Like Robert, I am running the stock y pipe but I went to a single CAT 15 years ago. The Spin Tech muffler I have is 3" as is the Cat and they are still good after all this time.

When I put the new 351w in , I plan to do a custom y pipe, MagnaFlow 3in single cat and the Moroso Spiral Flow muffler. Then a exit out the side over the frame through the fiberglass bedside with a metal ring around the exit point in the panel.
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

There's a good chance with the stock y pipe the only difference you'll get out of a different high flow muffler is noise and no performance improvement.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

http://youtu.be/tUzXo7tPtOo

I have a 24" magnaflow with 3inch pipe.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

If you're looking for sound... just remove the muffler if you have the factory 2 cat setup. No loss in power and sounds good without sounding ghetto... I'm picky about exhaust sound and I loved mine.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Silverslk wrote:If you're looking for sound... just remove the muffler if you have the factory 2 cat setup. No loss in power and sounds good without sounding ghetto... I'm picky about exhaust sound and I loved mine.

X2, this is the setup I ran as well! Loved it.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

X3
Broncotough
Bronco Info: 1990 302 aod. Leveled lift, re gasket engine, resto-mod

Muffler wars

Post by Broncotough »

RyanDS650X wrote:http://youtu.be/tUzXo7tPtOo

I have a 24" magnaflow with 3inch pipe.
love how that sounds.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I'll x4 the removing muffler & putting tail pipe out in front of the rear wheel. Don't have a bronco, but Tony, Vic &Andy all had this & I've ridden in the trucks & driven next to them on trips. They sound good from the outside & are not overly loud inside with no drone as stated.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

So I just left the muffler shop... I chopped off the Magnaflow cat back and did a strait pipe out the side in front of the passenger rear tire. HOLY TROPHY TRUCK! I already made another appointment for tomorrow morning to put a muffler on it and run the pipe out the stock location.

In regards to the strait pipe- this may good a good option for you if your motor is otherwise STOCK. Since ive got headers, Y pipe and a single hi flow cat, and a cam this strait pipe is NOT a good idea. I was in the waiting room when it was fired off at the shop and it sounded like a Harley. I will be going with whatever the muffler man recommends, I just want the drone out of the system so maybe a chambered muffler like the 40 series Flowmaster.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

I'd suggest a spintech
93fsb
Bronco Info: '93 fsb Camburg beams, king C/O's, deavers

Post by 93fsb »

Hey guys I'm reviving an old thread I need opinions!!!

So I started with short tube headers custom Y-pipe into a 3"pipe, cat, and muffler (muffler brand unknown sounds like a knock off FM) with it dumped before the rear axle. In a recent desert trip the inlet broke completely off.
So I had a spare exhaust from another bronco this consisted of long tube headers, dual 2.5 tubes into dual MagnaFlow mufflers that kick dual outlets before the passenger rear tire under the glass. I got all this installed and it sounds awful. At idle it's nice and mellow but under acceleration it makes a wierd muffled chuffing sound.
I've made up my mind on a spin tech muffler. Now my question is do I run a single muffler dual in and out or dual in and single out? How about an h pipe before the muffler? I'd like to have the deep sound back.
93fsb

Post by 93fsb »

I forgot to mention I've got a 93 stock 351w with an e40d.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

I would say after buying the Bassani Y-pipe for the 93-95 Lightning that's the off-road version- regardless of the year bronco that typical method is pretty awesome way to get true dual exhaust and be all down one side of the frame rail.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
93fsb

Post by 93fsb »

I've considered that method but I already had this setup so it's at a minimal cost to swap a muffler rather than buy a new exhaust.
zachwabbit
Bronco Info: '93 F150 XLT, '89 2wd B2(Smurfette)

Post by zachwabbit »

If you want a Flowmaster 40 series but don't like the cost, get the copy from Summit. The metal and welds are thicker and stronger. From what I've seen, and my buddies with Flowmasters, they rust out fairly quick and dent easy. Don't remember the Summit model # but it's in their free catalog and they have other flowmaster knockoffs as well. I think I paid around $30 or so after shipping. Someone told me that after Flowmasters patent ran out Summit jumped on it and sells their own versions now as well as actual Flowmaster stuff.
Potato.
93fsb

Post by 93fsb »

Thanks I'll look into that.