Dear smog/CA

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Re: Dear smog/CA

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Ok, so the question would be if I put a 78 Bronco Body on a 71 F100 frame, how should it be registered? I would hope as a 71 but.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

From my understanding - it should be a 71.

To do it all kosher like: Call the DMV, tell them you have a 71 with rusted out body & are doing a CAB SWAP. You will have to have the thing inspected (CHP I believe) and I think they install a new VIN plaque or sticker on the bronco cab.

Dig the idea. Hopefully it involves a bit of a stretch to use the F-100 wheel base & then a TTB addition up front. Would be SUCH
baja-chris

Post by baja-chris »

From my experience dealing direct with the DMV is a crap shoot at best. Many of the personnel do not fully understand the DVM code, they are mostly familiar with portions of the code they run across in 99% of the daily transactions. I suggest you go through a private registration company and interview them to find one that is experienced with the exact type of non-standard issue you have. Swapping different years of cabs and frames is not something the DMV clerks see every day. There are also a lot of gray areas and loopholes and those who have experience exploiting them are very unlikely to post about it on a public forum.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Very good point! The DMV website (IF it doesn't lock up on you!) is your friend. I'd suggest searching & reading there too.

Chris' post reminds me of a trip I took to the DMV & asked the clerk helping me about non-op. She said that to pull a truck off non op I'd have to bring it current with past registration (the truck in question has been non-opped for about 10 years!) to get it off. This was COMPLETELY WRONG & I knew it. When I suggested that that didn't sound right as the non-op was to give you time to fix a broken vehicle and to keep it without having to pay all the fees, etc. she came back with something about "yeah, fix it after a week or so. this program isnt to keep vehicles on for years" or something along those lines. I knew at that point I would need to call & talk to someone else at the DMV tht knew their arse from a hole in the ground when it came to non-op stuff.

So yes, I can very much agree that there are plenty of people at DMV locations who just know the basic registration renewal type stuff. When calling & talking direct to Sacramento (or wherever they are) I've had much better luck & actually get people who know what they are talknig about or will admit when they don't and transfer you to someone who does.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

A govt worker admitting they don't know the code and restrictions??!! Hahaha!
Wait.... You mean they admitted they aren't competent at their job? Oh shoot call the union spokes hole. Sounds like a cover up is needed, with generic " it's an ongoing investigation" thrown in there some place.

Don't they have DMV bi law school for their employees? Who hires these people? Sadly we know who pays them.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Just talking crap cause I can. Sorry for the derail, carry on.
fibermike
Bronco Info: builder of high quality ford glass parts/bronco/ranger prerunner owner

Post by fibermike »

The herbst pre runners are "65 ford frames, 91 chev cab and modifyed engine, Body is morphed from a 97tahoe " As the chevy trucks of that year are ugly and not very aero. They are registered to the herbst business in Vegas. We drive them all the time on the streets of cal
and never have a problem. And these (3 of them) are full on pre runners.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Yeah but Jerry & the boys have (had?) a lot more $ to get them out of trouble IF they ever got in any with the things. Plus with the main business being in NV and still having residences there (I believe), they have a "reason" to be registered in NV. Guys with a CA driver's license & a CA main address may have a bit more trouble running an out of state plate. Especially if you get pulled over more than once in a year or 2 span, driving the vehicle with out of state plates. CA wants (needs!) their tax revenue, so of course if they see you're living in CA, but driving an out of state vehicle regularly, they are going to look into why & try & get you to register it here in CA. Better have a pretty good reason why it is not, or be a darn good talker. Plus this is when they start looking into things like VIN, inspections to transfer the vehicle into CA, etc.

Good rule of thumb is just don't get pulled over & give LEO or anyone a reason to look. May be easier said than done though if say a tail light goes out & you don't realize it right away.

And I'm sure we all know them, but these are the trucks Mike is referring to.
Attachments
1 113.jpg
1 113.jpg (79.12 KiB) Viewed 479 times
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Well, I am going to look at Property for sale out in the Ocotillo-Plaster City area.
I am looking for land bordering the OHV Plaster City West area. I am looking at 20-50 acre lots. It will be nice to Put a Shipping container compound on the land and register the Bronco out there. No more smog. I may need to get a Big Block for the Bronco then. :-) :-) :-)
retroblazer

Post by retroblazer »

I have a 73 dodge pu cab with doors with no title. I also have a complete 76 with a non op title. Is it possible to file for a lost title, even though I though I don't have a bill of sale from the previous owner?
retroblazer

Post by retroblazer »

I forgot to add that I was told their were no numbers on the frame. I was also told that the important element of identification on this vintage Dodge were the tags on the driver's door and cab sill.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Chances are you'd have to go through the lein sale process to get the title. not a huge ordeal by any means, just a bit of paperwork. I did it with my '72 Alfa Romeo.

The tricky part is the no numbers on frame as they do typically want to have the VIN inspected. BUT, it's good that there are numbers on the door & cab as that is where most people would look. Not positive if they are required to match frame or not.

My suggestion is to call around to places who specialize in DMV work. There are outfits that for a fee will process all this for you. Most of the time they have a licensed person on board who can verify the VIN for you, and many of them come to you. These cost a bit more than just going to the DMV & filing the paperwork, etc., but there's a lot less effort/time involved on your part that way.
FUFIMI
Bronco Info: 1965 Ford F100 (Señor Mostaza)

Post by FUFIMI »

I bought a 66 bug awhile back and it did not have a vin. Since it was out of dmv system I went to the highway patrol station and they inspected and issued it a new vin, so check with the dmv and see what they say
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

FUFIMI wrote:I bought a 66 bug awhile back and it did not have a vin. Since it was out of dmv system I went to the highway patrol station and they inspected and issued it a new vin, so check with the dmv and see what they say
Baka bug time?
FUFIMI
Bronco Info: 1965 Ford F100 (Señor Mostaza)

Post by FUFIMI »

Rmc wrote:Baka bug time?
Haha nope traded it for a samurai and then sold the samurai.
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

retroblazer wrote:I have a 73 dodge pu cab with doors with no title. I also have a complete 76 with a non op title. Is it possible to file for a lost title, even though I though I don't have a bill of sale from the previous owner?
Yes this is possible. I have done it several times for cars and motorcycles. No bill of sale or paperwork is necessary you just must fill out a statement of facts telling how you acquired the vehicle and from whom. If you know it has been sitting in a farm field for 20 years you put that down along with the farmers name that paid you 5 dollars to haul it off. As long as the numbers don't come up stolen or currently registered to someone else than on your facts they hand you plates. If you know it has been sitting a long time it is probably out of the system and should be fine. I had one motorcycle they made me take to the CHP inspector since it did not have an engine number and get a tag fixed to the engine.
retroblazer

Post by retroblazer »

Thanks
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Sry for my recent typos... New phone. Not liking it so far. ( Baka bug)
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

Well fellas congratulations are in order. The Flyinbronco passed the smog test once again. I took it in last Saturday after rigging up the stock fuel tank filler tube. They didn't like my aircraft style fill cap because they had no adapter to fit it. It passed the visual and the smog test itself but it failed the evap test. :evil: I had to drop the tank and replace the roll over valve and the grommet. I took it back this morning and she passed with flying colors. Yeah. Me so happy. :D
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Awesome!! Congrats.