Momo Horn Button Wiring?

nubreed71
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Momo Horn Button Wiring?

Post by nubreed71 »

So I'm getting ready to install a Momo wheel this weekend, and the only question I have is how to wire up the horn button. Can anyone that's done this chime in on the process?
nubreed71

Re: Momo Horn Button Wiring?

Post by nubreed71 »

Figured it out...for anyone that wants to know how to do this, a couple pointers:

1. The Momo adapter will not snug all the way down with the OEM airbag clockspring in place. You'll need to drill out 2 tiny rivets in the plastic piece that all 5 wires come out of pointed towards the back of the steering wheel. Then break the 2 little plastic tabs off that sandwich the 5 wires.

2. To wire up the horn, you'll have to cut the three wires that attach to the harness that plugs into the steering wheel, there's a blue, red and black wire. The blue is for the cruise control, the red is the hot wire, and the black is the ground wire. You can cap the blue wire, and you just need the red and black wire. Plug the black wire into one of the tabs on the backside of the horn button, and the red wire into the other tab. No need to mess with the brass ring, since the black wire is grounding the circuit.

3. The airbag module on mine is making 5 sets of 5 angry beeps at me now that the airbag is gone. I'm gonna try to wire in a resistor to see if I can fool the truck into thinking there's an airbag...will update this thread once I try that out.
Jbfab
Bronco Info: 94 centurion bronco 5.8/zf many mods more all the time.

Post by Jbfab »

Just under the dash is a blue box. Its the one making the angry beeps. Unplug it and you should be good to go.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

I was wondering as well. I may need to do the blue box routine also I put a momo in mine a few months ago.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I don't know what I did to cause it but mine has the angry beeps, headsets fixed it haha
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

I can see that blue box, but it looks like there's quite a bit of stuff plugged into it. Maybe I'll take another look to see if I can unplug it. That would certainly be simpler than trying to splice in a resistor.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Just googled it... From what I was reading the 5 beeps is airbag fault with no indicator light. So my guess is your led cluster light has the wrong resistance value in combo with the bag being unplugged. So I'm guessing that either the incandescent resistance value is much higher than your current led or the wrighter is full of baloney. If you used a meter and got the incandescents resistive value minus the led's value and soldered that in it would make no more angry beeps?
Still digging...
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Here's another one: "that is usually a indication of a air fault concern. check to see if the air bag light proves out when key is turned on. if not the air
bag module will probably have a stored fault and the bulb may burnt out."
nubreed71

Post by nubreed71 »

I'm pretty sure I left the airbag light alone when I did the LED swap...I really only swapped out the illumination bulbs with LED's since they made little to no difference on the warning lights. There are 2 harnesses that plug into that little blue/green box under the dash, and I unplugged the upper harness. No more beeps...problem solved! The truck starts up fine, and the gauges still work, so it's looking like that solved the problem. Still haven't driven it around the block to make sure it still drives OK, but it sure seems like that's the fix.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

Sweet!! Ill try it on mine!!
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

On my Superduty the 5 beeps is definitely an air bag light burnt fault. Took awhile to find that. Local Ford dealer didn't have a clue and finally read one sentence about it in a Chiltons.

On my 95 F150 I took apart the connectors (easy) going into the module and disconnected the wires that caused the beeps I didn't want, such as beeping with lights on door open.