Oversize pics

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Oversize pics

Post by PaulW »

Steve,
Dont you have a setting to prevent these oversize pics? I know some forums just do an automatic resize regardless of what is attached. These big pics spoil the viewing and the text goes off the page even with no pics.
* The most drastic method is to make the poster use a link.

But if your SW for the list cannot do it tnen a little education might help.
* For WinXP its dirt simple using Microsoft power tools. Right click and choose small. And the result will be plenty good for a computer monitor.
* For Win7 its a pain becauese one has to use Paint then guess at the reduction. I have been using about 15% for computer pics. But is still a crap shoot and one has to preview the message on GFB to decide the correct %. A slow process. Maybe someone can tell me a better way for Win7?

Regards, PW
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Re: Oversize pics

Post by Phoenix0783 »

Windows live photo gallery is the easiest I've seen for Win7. Just select the photos you want to resize , right click and "resize"
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I haven't found an option for auto-resizing. It might be a feature on the latest board software which I haven't loaded. I'll update the board on of these days....
Sho nuff,
SteveG
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Paul, try resizing to 640 x 480, that works for me. I actually set my camera to take the correct file size pics, so I dont have to resize :D
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

AussieRod wrote:Paul, try resizing to 640 x 480, that works for me. I actually set my camera to take the correct file size pics, so I dont have to resize :D
===============
Not a problem for my posts,but a problem reading posts from guys who do not set their camera correctly or do not know how to resize their huge pics. I know how to do it. Lots of other do no know how.
BTW, 800x600 also works on this web site with slightly more detail for guys to enlarge. The size usually results in 50-80k pic down from around 300k
PW
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

PaulW wrote:
AussieRod wrote:Paul, try resizing to 640 x 480, that works for me. I actually set my camera to take the correct file size pics, so I dont have to resize :D
===============
Not a problem for my posts,but a problem reading posts from guys who do not set their camera correctly or do not know how to resize their huge pics. I know how to do it. Lots of other do no know how.
BTW, 800x600 also works on this web site with slightly more detail for guys to enlarge. The size usually results in 50-80k pic down from around 300k
PW
Gotcha :D I agree, those HUGE pics suck.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

AussieRod wrote:
PaulW wrote:
===============
PW
Gotcha :D I agree, those HUGE pics suck.
======
For sure. I am sure I am missing lots because I just skip/delete those posts.
PW
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

When I resize, I usually just guess at 65% or something reduction. If its too big and requires scrolling...... I am not gonna resize it again.... I'll just do the next one a bit more. A auto-resize would be great.

What about an option where it shows a thumbnail and you click on it to enlarge it?
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
BajaBronco13
Bronco Broker
Bronco Info: Bronco AKA The Silver Bullet

Post by BajaBronco13 »

Silverslk wrote:
What about an option where it shows a thumbnail and you click on it to enlarge it?
DR does that and I think that's a pain in the @$$. Just my $.02 Andy.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

I just got DSL at home again after 6 months of no internet at the house, so the likelihood of updates and maintenance on the board has gone up significantly. Once I update the software, I'll look into re-size options.

I agree, re-size is nice, but it would also be nice if people weren't too lazy to learn how to size photos to a forum friendly size. It really isn't that hard and the software is likely already on your computer. Although, I think I'm preaching to the choir here as everyone posting here seems to know how.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

I'm one of the culprits here with my first posts... but when I first posted, they didn't spread across the page like they do now... but, in any case, I'm going to methodically go back and resize to get them to behave properly... cause you're right... they suck and it's very annoying to scroll through pictures that are too big. It makes review painful! Sorry guys...
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I'm a culprit with the new camera I think. Used to just resize to 3x4" in photoshop & worked perfectly, but with the new camera that doesn't seem to be working. Do I need to look at pixel size rather than overall size?
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Phoenix0783
Bronco Info: No more Bronco :(

Post by Phoenix0783 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:I'm a culprit with the new camera I think. Used to just resize to 3x4" in photoshop & worked perfectly, but with the new camera that doesn't seem to be working. Do I need to look at pixel size rather than overall size?
Pixel size doesn't really correlate to anything in real life. It would be more consistent to resize looking at pixel dimensions.
My car is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber.
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Give us a break we are not viewing your posts with oversize pics. Is that what you want??

It has nothing to do with the camera. Although If you study the camera settings you can take computer friendly images with an non default setting.

You have to use your computer to post a message and attach a pic.
SO

* For WinXP its dirt simple using Microsoft power toys. If you do not have Power toys installed go to
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... windows-xp
then click on Powertoys then Image resizer and let it load.

Then right click on the pic and choose small or medium then post the reduced image.

* For Win7 Open Photo Gallery drag & drop your pics to that app, Right click on the image you want to post and choose resize then small or medium . Then post that pic.

* for a Mac get help from someone else. I was told the image resizer is part of the OS.
PW
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

PaulW wrote:Give us a break we are not viewing your posts with oversize pics. Is that what you want?
That pointed at me? If so you lost me as to what you are saying or what your point was with this...

as for the rest of your post - I clearly said I use photoshop to resize my pics. Pixel size (dimensions I guess) is in there right next to overall size, so I'll try going to the 640x480 Rod mentioned earlier in the thread.

Phoenix - I was meaning pixel dimensions I guess. Either way I just got back from the shop & took a couple pics so I'll mess with size & post one to figure it out.

*edit* Here's a size test at the 600x800 pixels Paul liked. Seems to work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

BajaF250 wrote:I'm one of the culprits here with my first posts... but when I first posted, they didn't spread across the page like they do now... but, in any case, I'm going to methodically go back and resize to get them to behave properly... cause you're right... they suck and it's very annoying to scroll through pictures that are too big. It makes review painful! Sorry guys...
Ok, I think I got all my pics resized so they behave... anyone/everyone, let me know if I've missed some and I'll reattack!
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

CT 754,
Sorry . I did not mean to offend.

Meant to be a general comment. Most everyone has Windows . So then I gave the Win instuctions. With Win Small = 640x480 and Medium = 800x600 . Both work for a web post.
Not many have Phoitoshop si I ignored it.
PW
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

PaulW wrote:CT 754,

Meant to be a general comment. Most everyone has Windows . So then I gave the Win instuctions. With Win Small = 640x480 and Medium = 800x600 . Both work for a web post.
PW
I actually use Picassa... it's a freeware from google. Seems to work ok for me...
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

BajaF250 wrote:Ok, I think I got all my pics resized so they behave... anyone/everyone, let me know if I've missed some and I'll reattack!
you can go back & edit to re-size? I need to look into that.

PaulW wrote:CT 754,

PW
no worries & no offense taken. Just wasn't sure if you were responding to me or just the thread in general.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:...you can go back & edit to re-size? I need to look into that.
Yup, what I did was delete the pics on site and just reinsert the resized pics back into the thread. The really weird thing about it, was when I first posted those pics, they didn't expand out like they do now... something has changed that's made the pages and pics push out. I'm not a site guy so I have no idea why it changed... all I know is you didn't used to have to scroll across horizontally.